1000w PSU enough?

Solo

Broken In
I'm planning to crossfire two AMD Radeon HD 7990 and add five 3.5 drives.
My case already has 9 fans and three drives and will try to overclock as well.
Calculating I will have a total of 2 GPU, 9 HDD and 9 fans.
Will 1000 watts be enough?

marvelousprashant

Cyborg Agent
Do you already have a 1000w psu? If yes mention its make and model. A good 1000w will be more than enough.

If you haven't purchased, mention your budget and processor

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
I'm planning to crossfire two AMD Radeon HD 7990 and add five 3.5 drives.
My case already has 9 fans and three drives and will try to overclock as well.
Calculating I will have a total of 2 GPU, 9 HDD and 9 fans.
Will 1000 watts be enough?

how much do you pay for a single 7990? what is your monitor setup?

OP
S

Solo

Broken In
Do you already have a 1000w psu? If yes mention its make and model. A good 1000w will be more than enough.

If you haven't purchased, mention your budget and processor
Yes I have Amazon.com: KingWin Lazer Power Supply 1000 Watts with Universal Modular Connectors/3 Way LED Switch/80 Plus Bronze ATX 1000 Power Supply LZ-1000: Electronics. I have i7 3770k. My budget is unlimited.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
dont you have a 680? what is your current monitor set up? is it triple monitor or a single monitor setup? what is the resolution ?

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
One card about 72,000. I have 20 inch monitor. Might get a 14 inch monitor soon.

what you just need is 3 X dell s2240l and a single r9 290. if you ever feels bottlenecking later by the gpu, buy 2 of them. dont get the 7990.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
One 7990 card is beast enough, but I have currency to burn so why not hehehe.

dont burn it for no use.
1) you will not get any benefit from 7990 with your 20" monitor
2)you are paying extra for your electricity.
save the money for future. deposit it in the bank.

ASHISH65

Technomancer
@op please read it - AMD, System Builders, And Tom's Chime In - Radeon HD 7990 In CrossFire: The Red Wedding Of Graphics

But after spending time evaluating its thermals and acoustics (to say nothing about its crashes and performance hiccups in CrossFire, which could become a story unto itself), I can’t think of one reason to recommend 7990 to a friend. And, at the end of the day, that’s what this job is all about.

OP
S

Solo

Broken In
what you just need is 3 X dell s2240l and a single r9 290. if you ever feels bottlenecking later by the gpu, buy 2 of them. dont get the 7990.
Yeah, I guess your right, 7990 is overkill. It just that it bothers me little to know that I have one empty PCIE x16 slot ready for crossfire. Two dell s2240l is fine by me.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
Yeah, I guess your right, 7990 is overkill. It just that it bothers me little to know that I have one empty PCIE x16 slot ready for crossfire. Two dell s2240l is fine by me.

get a good sound card on the other PCIE slot rather than crossfiring. any way yo should get r9 290.

ASHISH65

Technomancer
I would get gtx 780ti and later look for sli

Nvidia drivers support for sli is much better than amd for xfire

OP
S

Solo

Broken In
@op please read it - AMD, System Builders, And Tom's Chime In - Radeon HD 7990 In CrossFire: The Red Wedding Of Graphics
Wow wow wow! Thank you ASHISH65 for the valuable information.

I would get gtx 780ti and later look for sli

Nvidia drivers support for sli is much better than amd for xfire
Yes I would if could, but I'm not sure if my motherboard P8Z77-V LX supports SLI. My main reason switching my GTX 680 for AMD GPU.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
Wow wow wow! Thank you ASHISH65 for the valuable information.

Yes I would if could, but I'm not sure if my motherboard P8Z77-V LX supports SLI. My main reason switching my GTX 680 for AMD GPU.

that mobo does not support sli

OP
S

Solo

Broken In
get a good sound card on the other PCIE slot rather than crossfiring. any way yo should get r9 290.
Thanks rijinpk1. At the moment I'm thinking about the AMD 8000 series. I could wait for release and get the best GPU from that line up and be one step above everyone, I hope.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
Thanks rijinpk1. At the moment I'm thinking about the AMD 8000 series. I could wait for release and get the best GPU from that line up and be one step above everyone, I hope.

the new amd gpus are named like r9 290x, 290.280x,270x etc. amd will not release hd 8000 for desktops. amd has ditched naming their gpus like 9990,9970 etc.

OP
S

Solo

Broken In
the new amd gpus are named like r9 290x, 290.280x,270x etc. amd will not release hd 8000 for desktops. amd has ditched naming their gpus like 9990,9970 etc.
Oh now it all makes sense. Here I thought the R9 290, 280, etc were all side projects. I wonder why ditch such catchy names.

Top Bottom