100% CPU Usage

Status
Not open for further replies.

midhunmon

Broken In
I am getting almost 100% CPU usage while playing NFS pro Street and almost 50% while playing NFS MW.I don't know about other games. Is it normal? I have a Core2Duo 2.2GHz.
Also if the CPU or graphics card gets to very high temperature shouldn't the whole sytem shutdown? i thought the CPU and GPU has built in safety measures to counter any damage. I have an 8600GT which gets to 75-80C while playing the above mentioned games at max details ( i know it has heating probs).

Hrithan2020

In the zone
75-80 C for GPU is considered "safe" as it is supposed to withstand 120 degree C(acc to nvidia).But anything above 90-95 for a long time would affect the lifetime of ur gpu.If u r very particular u could always buy additional coolers(zalman?) or a 120 mm fan.For CPU,i think above 70-75 it automatically shutdowns(think so).So,no need to worry.

nish_higher

Wise Old Owl
CPU shutdown for intel proccy's normally occurs at 95-100degrees (average)
and that temp for ur gfx card is purely normal.and if possible get it replaced with a UDF3 model.

how much ram u got?

OP
midhunmon

midhunmon

Broken In
2GB Corsair

What about the CPU usage.I saw in some other forums Most new games use near 100% CPU. Is that right?

OP
midhunmon

midhunmon

Broken In
Normally the CPU usage is 2-5. But in the game it is like what i said. even if u use alt+Tab and viewe the taskmanager between the game it shows 2-5 %. i used the nvidia event log to monitor the usage and it says it gets to 100 occasionally and is 85-95 mostly. in NFSMW it is 35-45 and occassionally 50%.

OP
midhunmon

midhunmon

Broken In
I don't know if the reading in taskmanager is similar as whenever i tries to access the taskmanager during a game by Windows + D the reading would have reverted to 2-5. I got the 50% on the taskmanager too a while back but that was because i was using fraps in b/w the games. use no fraps cpu usage = 2, use it to measure fps usage=50%. now its read using event logger.

hsetir

Broken In
As of my experience, insufficent power supply also leads to high cpu usage. Playing games drains more power towards gpu forcing cpu to go to power saving mode, if power is insufficient and thus increasing the cpu usage. I used a 300w psu with 12v/14A and it would always remain at 80% while playing games. I upgraded to 450w with 12V/20A and now it never shoots 30%.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom