‘USB Safely Remove’ wins 100 Best Products of 2008 Award

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewsBytes

In the zone
'USB Safely Remove' utility was honored by PC World magazine with a "100 Best Products of 2008 Award"

'USB Safely Remove' utility, created by SafelyRemove.com, was honored by PC World magazine with a "100 Best Products of 2008 Award". The TOP 100 products were selected by editors of the famous magazine among huge list of hardware, software and Web products for their exemplary design and usability, features, performance, and innovation.

'USB Safely Remove' is a small yet powerful util...

To read the full news article, click here

apoorva84

In the zone
i went to the SafelyRemove.com site and it looks like a clean piece of useful software...but is it freeware? dont think so, cause the official website says "order",so, i guess its shareware...

Edit: i downloaded it and have been using it for about 10 mins, and it works just fine with my pen drive and card reader.

and yes, it is a shareware...

Last edited:

dheeraj_kumar

Legen-wait for it-dary!
Re: ‘USB Safely Remove’ wins 100 Best Products of 2008 Award

USB Safely Remove is a neat and handy replacement for the standard 'Safely Remove Hardware' tool. It will make life easier and save time for those who have several hotplug (USB, SATA, Firewire) devices and those who use them extensively.

What makes USB Safely Remove better than the Windows 'Safely Remove Hardware' tool?

The ability to hide any device from the 'stop' menu.
Uses real device names and allows renaming.
Keyboard shortcuts for easy device stopping.
Unique menu for one-click stop.
Programs autorun on device plugging/unplugging.
It tells you why a device cannot be stopped immediately.

Sounds pretty useful, but costs $20.

NucleusKore

TheSaint
Hmm.... In OpenSuSE, you can see the device (visual as in My Computer of WIndows), right click on it and safely remove

Oh I forgot to mention, it's free.

Last edited:

dreamzchm

Web Design Hobbyist
Hmm.... In OpenSuSE, you can see the device (visual as in My Computer of WIndows), right click on it and safely remove

Oh I forgot to mention, it's free.
yeah , that's right.. all this late comers in windows are already present in linux.. well, without the price tag.. hmm.,, linux really rocks .. and does not suck the user!!

x3060

A LOTR fan
i hardly removed my usb by stopping it, i will just pull it out.
it does not have a head like hdd right???, then why all these safe remove thing????
well i have been continuing this for 2 years now and nothing has happened to it.
2gb kingston.

Vyasram

The pWnster
Re: ‘USB Safely Remove’ wins 100 Best Products of 2008 Award

I've never safely removed any USB device. And it has never backfired on me. I should have saved atleast one day over the past five years by skipping this.

dheeraj_kumar

Legen-wait for it-dary!
it does not have a head like hdd right???, then why all these safe remove thing????

You see, it does not have a head, but because its just another drive, operations may be going on the drive without your knowledge, you might have been copying a file to the drive but forgot it, or an antivirus scan might be happening, or anything like that. To prevent data corruption, the safely remove hardware closes all open file handles in the drive, thus cutting off all logical contact between the computer and the drive. And then you can plug it out safely. In fact, the eject button in your optical drive is a very preliminary type of safely remove hardware.

goobimama

 Macboy
Safely remove schafely remove. I always have my data in a couple of places, never edit on a USB drive, and well, its fun!

Garbage

God of Mistakes...
i hardly removed my usb by stopping it, i will just pull it out.
well i have been continuing this for 2 years now and nothing has happened to it.
2gb kingston.
Many times I've observed that when I unmount pen drive from Ubuntu, it writes the data which I've copied on that when removing.

So, it is always better to safely remove your pen drive! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom