‘Don’t get Scroogled’, Microsoft’s anti–Google message to all of us this holiday season

101gamzer

Ambassador of Buzz
The holiday season is here again and it’s not only family get-togethers that become contentious, big software companies can’t resist either. Microsoft has just launched a campaign called ‘Don’t get Scroogled’, that takes aim squarely at Google Shopping.

*tbreak.com/tech/files/scroogled1-600x272.png

Microsoft claims that when users search for products through Google’s shopping-only section, results shown will be skewered in favour of retailers who have paid Google to be there. This means that some retailers who cannot afford to pay will not be displayed even if their products are better or cheaper for the consumer. Microsoft doesn’t want you to get ‘scroogled’ by Google’s evil ‘pay-to-rank’ system.

So, use Bing instead.

In a press release, Microsoft contends, “Bing won’t let who pays us for ads or other services affect what you see in your shopping search results. Search results are one thing; ads are another. We won’t switch to pay-to-rank to allow fees to influence the ranking of shopping search results. In short, we think that too many shoppers who use Google for their shopping are getting “Scroogled” when they should be getting fair, honest, open search results.”

A Bing blog post goes further, “In the beginning, Google preached, “Don’t be evil”—but that changed on May 31, 2012. That’s when Google Shopping announced a new initiative. Simply put, all of their shopping results are now paid ads.”

Ouch.

Shoppers are advised to visit the ‘Scroogled‘ website (a very weird looking one, this writer would like to add) and even watch a video to learn more about how to avoid being screwed by Google.

SOURCE

Visit THE ONE AND ONLY SCROOGLED SITE Have you been Scroogled? Try Bing—we don't limit your shopping choices. :p

doomgiver

Warframe
i'd rather let myself get scroogled a million times than use bing.

fun fact : *that* is a guy in drag.

gameranand

Living to Play
Well neither Google nor Bing would work much for India, common sense and researching would help. This doesn't affect me much, one company trying to get some market share from other company thats all.

Windows

Journeyman
googleshopping.png

Google clearly says that "Google Shopping is a commercial site"

noob

Cyborg Agent
Bing sucks anyways. Instead of improving it (i don't even care) all they are doing is to target Google.
I remember their last failed attempt were they would show 2 results side by side and asked people to choose the results. Turned out that Google scored much higher & MS had to stop the contest. :)

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Even junglee don't work for me, let alone Google's shopping site.
For me (and most probably others), only source for buying online, in general order of preference would be directly : Flipkart > Sites like Primeabgb > ebay ...

doomgiver

Warframe
i dont get it... is M$ still filled with dodgy old men in stolid business suits?

they are digging a grave for themselves. one of these days, the public outcry will shake this company.

M$, what you need to do is close your doors for 2 years and then come out with revolutionary products. which dont suck. dont try to control the customers, make them want to come to you, a la apple.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
i dont get it... is M$ still filled with dodgy old men in stolid business suits?

they are digging a grave for themselves. one of these days, the public outcry will shake this company.

M$, what you need to do is close your doors for 2 years and then come out with revolutionary products. which dont suck. dont try to control the customers, make them want to come to you, a la apple.

...+1

Microsoft had always been a douche bag company when it came to competition, but I remember a time when people feared Microsoft and M$ never had to do something ridiculous like this. Looks like desperate times call for desperate measures.

Top Bottom