Windows Security Eating resources like a Hog.

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
Windows Security (Windows Defender) Keeps scanning my files and eats system resources. This is evident from the "Antimalware service executable"(will call it ASE) in task manager eating RAM and CPU usage. I have confirmed it is not some other Malware/Miner by running a malware bytes scan and also, When I disable real time protection from Windows Defender, this thing absolutely stops.

When it is running, the CPU temps reaches 80-90 easily with fans on full blow. Not even 2 secs into disabling realtime protection the PC is back to normal temps between 45-55.

I have tried almost all the solutions on net including changing the policy from task scheduler, changing registry keys related to windows defender, but only disabling Real time protection works which is a pain in a## every time I boot up.

I have a dual booted config, and only use windows to run solidworks. So cant reinstall windows as it takes time and patience to avoid corrupting bootloader setup.

I am not using any cracks/patches to worry about Miners/Malwares/botnets. etc.

its been over 4 weeks now and this issue is not going away.

When the ASE is running in backround, The maximum work load is put under 3D workload under GPU in task manager.

Windows 10 on Asus vivobook with Ryzen 5 3500U, 16GB RAM , 512GB NVMe, 1TB hard drive, Integrated graphics.

PS :- I have updated windows to latest version.

patkim

Cyborg Agent
Since your Windows 10 usage is very less, I suppose you really do not need Defender, just try this tool from GitHub. I assume you have not tried this yet.

*github.com/ionuttbara/windows-defender-remover

Do not remove, just disable (There's an option for that in the tool) and check if that works for you. Before you run it make sure to disable real time protection and then try to disable defender. You may need to run it as Administrator.
Don't forget to create a System Restore point before you proceed.
If works, later try some lightweight third-party AV.

OP
RumbaMon19

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
Since your Windows 10 usage is very less, I suppose you really do not need Defender, just try this tool from GitHub. I assume you have not tried this yet.

Do not remove, just disable (There's an option for that in the tool) and check if that works for you. Before you run it make sure to disable real time protection and then try to disable defender. You may need to run it as Administrator.
Don't forget to create a System Restore point before you proceed.
If works, later try some lightweight third-party AV.

Thanks, Will try this and let you know.

Top Bottom