VPN Connection drops every now and then

patkim

Cyborg Agent
Sometimes I connect to my home desktop PC (Win XP) over internet using VPN. Incoming connection is setup on home PC -> Network Connections and I create a VPN connection on client (Win 7 laptop) and initiate connection. Required ports are forwarded in my router and also opened in Comodo firewall. It gets connected usually without any issues but within 3 – 4 minutes the VPN connection drops and this dropping is consistent. Home PC is on 512 kbps and Win7 laptop on mobile internet 3g.

If I simulate the whole setup on LAN then the connection does not drop.
However VPN connection when done over internet drops after a few minutes. Pl. help me troubleshoot this issue. Thanks.

OP
patkim

patkim

Cyborg Agent
seems so..i tried from my iPad to home PC with Win xp and it looked stable (same settings / config on XP otherwise)
in general what could be the reasons that VPN connection drops on its own. As such when on LAN it is just stable.

OP
patkim

patkim

Cyborg Agent
unfortunately nothing seems to have worked so far. I tried either ways from Win 7 to XP as well as from XP to Win7. and even between two Win 7.
I even removed router and connected directly to the WAN IP. Disabled COMODO firewall as well as Windows firewall. It just disconnects within a minute or two.
The only way it seems to have remained stable is from ipad ios 5.1.1 to win xp or win 7.
is there any way logs are / can be created or does it record anything in event viewer?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
try this:
Windows 7 VPN disconnects - VPN - Networking
Go to your VPN connection's Properties.
Networking (tab) -> select 'Internet Protocol' from the list and click 'Properties' -> click 'Advanced...' -> uncheck 'Use default gateway on remote network'

as for logs see this:
*social.technet.microsoft.com/Forum...d-connecting-to-a-vpn?forum=w7itpronetworking

OP
patkim

patkim

Cyborg Agent
did clean install of XP and VPN appeared relatively stable. Right now it's just the chipset, LAN and graphics drivers installed on XP.
So could be that some apps or services might have been the culprit. Still can not pinpoint though.

Top Bottom