Upgrading an old PC for normal work

Jim Kirk

Broken In
Hello, I am currently using a dual core pc and needs to upgrade it readily. As I already have a PC, so need not purchase all components. I am putting the questionnaire.

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: Already using this pc for lots of YouTube, office work and continuously working for more than 10 hrs.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans:15-20K

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans:No

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans:Windows 10 Pro

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: Already have Harddisk of 1TB. So no need.

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: No, I have a monitor.

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: Cabinet, Hard disk, DVD writer, Mouse, Keyboard, Monitor.

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: Coming 2 months

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: I will assemble it

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Living in New Delhi.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: I'm planning to use my old Cabinet but my PSU, its a bit old and also not enough. So, I will put a new PSU as well. Graphics Card is not necessary for now. Some good Internal GPU will suffice the need. I need this PC strictly for 10 hrs continuously with multiple tabs running, streaming. I think i3 with 7th or 8th Gen will fit in my budget. Kindly suggest some good configs. Also, please suggest something which can also be upgraded on a later date (let's say after 5 years).

cute.bandar

Cyborg Agent
Step 1. Get an SSD .. If you don't have the budget, then get a 128gb one, but don't skip on it. It makes a MASSIVE difference. It might make a bigger difference than a sys upgrade

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
Prices for components today are much higher than what they used to be. 15-20k will not accommodate much. Here's a general sense of prices for decent components:
Processor - 12-15k
Motherboard - 7-8k
RAM ~5k
PSU 5-7k

That adds up to 30-35k. I guess folks here will give you good suggestions for 25k config as well. But 20k might not be enough for a decent upgrade.

You can try selling the old components and add that to your budget.

Top Bottom