Upgrade of pc for playing newer AAA titles

quicky008

Technomancer
I have a i5 9400f,16 GB DDR4 3000 mhz (8gb * 2),and a 3060 ti.

As the cpu lacks hyperthreading,it can't run many of today's cpu intensive titles properly. Games like cyberpunk phantom liberty etc causes massive fps drops in certain areas having numerous objects/characters on screen due to high cpu utilization.I experienced the same issue as well with the newly released Warhammer 40k Space marine 2 (which is a cpu heavy title).

So i've been thinking of upgrading only the cpu and the motherboard to be able to play such demanding titles.I am planning to get the following components:

i5 13400F,
Gigabyte B760 DS3H ddr4 motherboard

I intend to continue using the DDR4 ram sticks that i currently possess-will be upgrading it to 32 gb later on.

Will this configuration be enough to run most games properly for the next 4-5 years? Can using DDR4 with this new setup cause any performance issues or bottlenecking?

It would have perhaps been prudent to get DDR5 instead of DDR4,but cost of DDR5 is quite high at the moment and i don't want to spend another 10k in getting new ram (as the difference in performance between ddr4 and ddr5 doesn't seem too pronounced).

The costs could have been reduced further by opting for 12400F,but its already 2 years old at this point.Intel's 13th and 14th gen cpus are plagued by reliability issues (especially the higher end ones such as the i9s)-are such issues likely to be present in the 13th/14th gen i5 cpus as well?

Please share your suggestions here.

Since all Intel 13th & 14th gen CPUs are affected with an issue, so just ignore them.

For budget rig, can consider i5 12400/12400F, still decent, but surely old. I use my i5 12400 rig with 7900GRE (surely there's some bottleneck but in most games at 70-80fps, I saw no bottlenecks yet).

If you want something thinking about 5 years down the line, spend 40k on R5 7600 + B650M mobo + 32GB DDR5 6000MHz CL30 RAM.

So decide on your budget first. DDR5 vs DDR4 is becoming more apparent now in newer games & the gap will just increase in future.

OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
can 12400f handle cpu heavy games like phantom liberty etc with ease?In games like these the cpu utilization spikes,causing noticeable fps drops frequently in the game,thus making it unplayable (Despite having a good enough gpu) for people with older processors (like me).Have you tried this game on your setup?

can 12400f handle cpu heavy games like phantom liberty etc with ease?In games like these the cpu utilization spikes,causing noticeable fps drops frequently in the game,thus making it unplayable (Despite having a good enough gpu) for people with older processors (like me).Have you tried this game on your setup?
Tried benchmark, 1440p ultra w/o upscaling nets me 100+fps.

Top Bottom