Unnecessary forced software Samsung M31s

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
I have recently bought a Samsung M31s. While setting up the device, Samsung tried to trick me to agree to unnecessary things in the "Check out some info to get started" screen. I somehow managed to get past that screen without agreeing.

Later on opening Galaxy Store, suddenly it began installing more than 10 software such as ShareChat even though I tried to ensure that I did not consent to anything. I found no way to disable this so for the time being I removed permissions of Galaxy Store. But I am afraid that might interefere with system updates or something.

How to avoid unnecessary software while maintaining proper update functionality?

I have vaguely read about Samsung using ads recently in the phone software unless one is careful. May be @whitestar_999 knows?

OP
sling-shot

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
It is the Galaxy Store doing it. Won't it just bring them back? Or should I get rid of Galaxy Store itself?

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Yes, that's what I mean by uninstalling bloatware.

Though this is for s10e, I think you can remove common bloatware:
*github.com/AlexQuiniou/remove-bloatware-galaxy-s10e

OP
sling-shot

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
That is great. I can definitely get rid of Facebook.

I am not sure what Bixby is yet, so will have to read up further on it.

Rest of the things need more evaluation.

Thank you.

OP
sling-shot

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
Have you followed this exact procedure while setting up the phone, if not then I suggest to factory reset & do it this time.
What an evil thing done by Samsung here! I think this can be used as textbook example of dark pattern for eons to come.

I thought the first page was the only dark pattern, but that video opened my eyes for a whole bunch of others too.

Unfortunately thinking that I am smart enough to catch them if I am being careful and believing that I have succeeded I went ahead and finished setting up the device including necessary software and restored backups too. It will take hours for me to go through it again without even considering the disrupted communication.

So I have to try and identify and reset individual apps and hope things can be set right without a whole reset.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
What an evil thing done by Samsung here! I think this can be used as textbook example of dark pattern for eons to come.

I thought the first page was the only dark pattern, but that video opened my eyes for a whole bunch of others too.

Unfortunately thinking that I am smart enough to catch them if I am being careful and believing that I have succeeded I went ahead and finished setting up the device including necessary software and restored backups too. It will take hours for me to go through it again without even considering the disrupted communication.

So I have to try and identify and reset individual apps and hope things can be set right without a whole reset.
Yeah it was surprising for me also to find out samsung went this way in their latest M series. I can understand the additional hours spent but keep in mind that this is probably the only time you will get to do it(reset) because older the phone is, harder it is to reset everything.

OP
sling-shot

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
Presently I have cleared data of Galaxy Store. Hence it is waiting until I consent to the privacy policy.

I will wait for another while searching for another way out. If I have to reset anyway another week wouldn't be much of a difference for the way I use the phone.

Hopefully something emerges.

OP
sling-shot

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
I read the review on XDA and went back to do it again.

Reset only Galaxy Store and now looks like it is solved. Thanks.

Top Bottom