To The Moon Review

Who

Guess Who's Back
As you could see , i usually never post in the forum and lately because of my finals i have been busy with moderating the forum as well but yesterday something happened, i played something that i will remember for years coming by, and it would one major things in my life that made the year 2011 that much memorable,without further of due here is my review of a game that changes storytelling in videogames completely.

To The Moon

Where do i start ? To The Moon is not your typical game with bosses, hit points, extra lives, power ups etc no its something entirely different, its hard to categorize but i think i could say its a interactive storytelling of a game.

Imagine one day you're old, sitting on your deathbed thinking about the life you lived, remembering all the joys and sorrows and the key moments of your life. At this point you also recall the regrets of your life, things that you wished you had done differently, choices you wished you had made and wondering how life would be different if you had taken that path.

What if you could fulfill that one last wish on your deathbed for a fee ? that you can alter your memories so in your dying mind you die happily through your dream.This is one of main premises of To The Moon, its a tale about hope,regret and life as whole.

*freebirdgames.com/to_the_moon/images/TTM6..png

So in this game you guide the characters Dr. Neil Watts and Dr. Eva Rosaline who provide memory alternating service to a old man named Johnny on his deathbed.

Johnny wishes to go to the moon and thus the game title is all about but the problem is he doesn't know why he wants to go to the moon, thus it makes a tough task for the doctors to alter his memory in a natural way to fulfill his dying wish.
*freebirdgames.com/to_the_moon/images/TTM%20Ss3.jpg

I wish i could reveal more about the game's story but that would mean spoiling one of best game story i ever witnessed, but i would say this story is not all about happy endings but its bittersweet at least, though don't let this fool you into believing the game is all sappy, there are very good humor moments sprinkled all along the game and the starting is a humors one, like shown in the following trailer

[YOUTUBE]y9Vo4m2yiIo[/YOUTUBE]

Though be warned the game has very little to no gameplay with simple tile flipping puzzles and humors action scene in the end, and you collect mementos to hop from memory to memory but this is a good thing as its rarely distracts you from the game storyline and gameplay elements like mementos actually enhance the storyline.

*freebirdgames.com/to_the_moon/images/sgttm.png

The soundtrack is amazing in this game for such a small game with 16-bit graphics, there is a new soundtrack for every scene in the game without looping the soundtrack at all, tracks like "For River", "Everything's alright", "To the Moon - Theme" will haunt you long after the game has been finished, it was so good in fact i purchased the soundtrack right after finishing the game.

Though there are very few sound effects in the game, and its length is just under 5 hours but to be honest not a single minute is wasted and the game delivers a perfect story in that time.

Retailing around 11.99$ might be bit stiff for some people without such short amount of length with little to no reply value but make no mistake when you play this game the experience that comes out will make you think about many things and it will move hearts of all but the most hard hearted of gamers , for me life seems little better, and one worth living till the end.

I ask you to play this game as its one of the best games i ever played in my life , it drove a person like me to write a review, so i implore you to play this game it will be the best 5 hours you ever invested in your life.

Finally here is the announcement trailer which you should definitely checkout, (this got me interested in the first place)

[YOUTUBE]sqkJuSV-23U[/YOUTUBE]

Beautiful things like this make life worth living for and maybe a life worth dying for.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
I already have quite a huge backlog to clear, but this is one game I will definitely buy this year. Thanks for reviewing it.

OP
Who

Who

Guess Who's Back
I wrote it myself. one or two lines might be from other reviews i read but majority of it, (90%) was done by me.

Krow

Crowman
N.I.C.E.

Liked it quite a bit. And it has managed to pique my interest. :) Achievement unlocked: Post on Digit Forum. ;)

Alok

Adventurer
So here it is. I was thinking about creating this thread days before i saw tailer.
I liked story very much. Getting it soon.

Top Bottom