System Shutdown Problem and Maintainence

Status
Not open for further replies.

anna_don

Broken In
Hello Guys,
Please help me out here cause i've a really bad problem wid my system....Whenever i shutdown the system, it takes a very long time to do so,sometimes 10 mins or more...otherwise not at all.I get a warning that states that a process called "cApp" is running and that i should shut it down..So each time I end up cutting off the power supply and later getting a message at Startup saying that my system was not shutdown properly the last time, and that I should run Scandisk on some of my drives.Is it because of a virus?But i cant seem to remember any particular download afterwhich i started having this problem.

I also wanted to know how to maintain my system properly.Please keep in mind that...

I have Norton Antivirus : but it takes a ridiculously long time to update the virus definitions on a connection such as the one I use...I regularly run full system scans and Norton usually returns some spyware on my system which it is not able to handle.So i end up putting it in quarantine.Is that the right solution?

I have Norton Internet Security : but i was told that it slows down the internet connection even more cause it scans every file that comes into my system.Is this true?

I have AdAware SE Personal : It updates fast enough but everytime I run a full system scan, it returns all kinds of spyware and dataminers and adwares and what not...funnily, it is quite unable to fix most of this.I end up deleting what i can and quarantine the rest.Again..is that the right solution?

I have Enigma Firewall : It is enabled whenever I am online.

Other than all this, I regularly defrag and run 'chkdsk' on all my drives to keep my system in the best shape I can. So its quite disheartening when my system still gives me trouble.Should I use any other tool(s) to Diagnose,Rectify errors and maintain my system? All the software i've
mentioned above are either pirated ones or freeware.Does that make a difference?I'm ready to get the original software if it really makes a difference...

I would also like to update my OS which is a WinXP Proffesional.Doing it online would be impractical as the connection is slow.Should I just apply the SP2 and other patches that i get in the DVD's which Digit provides.I havent applied any kind of patch to my OS at any point of time at all. If at all I do...How do I know that my OS is updated?

Please Help!!!

System Specifications:-

Intel Pentium 4,2.8Ghz
80 GB HDD
512 MB RAM
WinXP Proffesional OS

Any more Info that u might require....i'll be more than happy to provide...Thank u!

swatkat

Technomancer
anna_don said:
Hello Guys,
Please help me out here cause i've a really bad problem wid my system....Whenever i shutdown the system, it takes a very long time to do so,sometimes 10 mins or more...otherwise not at all.I get a warning that states that a process called "cApp" is running and that i should shut it down..So each time I end up cutting off the power supply and later getting a message at Startup saying that my system was not shutdown properly the last time, and that I should run Scandisk on some of my drives.Is it because of a virus?But i cant seem to remember any particular download afterwhich i started having this problem.
Is it ccApp or capp? If it is ccApp, then it's related to Norton AV. And that is a problem with Norton AV that the process does not close immediately when System is shutdown, but we have to close it using the "End Now" button.

I also wanted to know how to maintain my system properly.Please keep in mind that...

I have Norton Antivirus : but it takes a ridiculously long time to update the virus definitions on a connection such as the one I use...I regularly run full system scans and Norton usually returns some spyware on my system which it is not able to handle.So i end up putting it in quarantine.Is that the right solution?

I have Norton Internet Security : but i was told that it slows down the internet connection even more cause it scans every file that comes into my system.Is this true?

I have AdAware SE Personal : It updates fast enough but everytime I run a full system scan, it returns all kinds of spyware and dataminers and adwares and what not...funnily, it is quite unable to fix most of this.I end up deleting what i can and quarantine the rest.Again..is that the right solution?
I have Enigma Firewall : It is enabled whenever I am online.

Using two Firewalls is not recommended, you can uninstall any one of them. Typically Norton apps are System heavy. You can use light (and better than NIS) Firewall like ZoneAlarm Free Version.
And for AdAware, update it's database. Also, run the scans in safe mode. You can also use these programs:-
SpyBot SnD
TrojanHunter Trial
WebRoot SpySweeper Trial
CleanUp!

Other than all this, I regularly defrag and run 'chkdsk' on all my drives to keep my system in the best shape I can. So its quite disheartening when my system still gives me trouble.Should I use any other tool(s) to Diagnose,Rectify errors and maintain my system? All the software i've
mentioned above are either pirated ones or freeware.Does that make a difference?I'm ready to get the original software if it really makes a difference...
I would also like to update my OS which is a WinXP Proffesional.Doing it online would be impractical as the connection is slow.Should I just apply the SP2 and other patches that i get in the DVD's which Digit provides.I havent applied any kind of patch to my OS at any point of time at all. If at all I do...How do I know that my OS is updated?
Please Help!!!
System Specifications:-
Intel Pentium 4,2.8Ghz
80 GB HDD
512 MB RAM
WinXP Proffesional OS. Any more Info that u might require....i'll be more than happy to provide...Thank u!
And for securing Windows, you can refer these threads:-

Windows Security
Free Security Apps

navjotjsingh

Wise Old Owl
Must say you have a very heavy system.

Uninstall Norton Internet Security immediately.
If possible change your av to Avast! , McAfee or Nod32.

Use also Microsoft Anti-spyware to clean your system.

OP
A

anna_don

Broken In
Thanx a lot guyz....i always thought that norton av and NIS was the best...seems i was wrong...i'll put in another AV and check it out...thanx a lot again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom