Suggestions for a build config (max 50k) for office usage.

tanmaymohan

Geek v1.0
Hello TDF

It's been a long time since I posted here. I am trying to build a new configuration for my office. Multiple times there have been problems dealing with cloud servers and we don't have capacity at my head office branch. Therefore I am thinking of building an office PC/NAS/Compute machine that would help me in hosting my docker containers/ VMs/ storage needs and would reduce the burden on the current development laptops. Mostly I would be installing Linux on top of it and configuring it according to the company's needs. Can be both Intel or an AMD build, whichever has the best support for running 24x7 machines with good performance on running development applications. Probably thinking of keeping that machine inside my server room and all of the users would access it via the local network

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.' Vague answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work.)
Ans: Running Applications such as : Docker, VirtualBox, MySQL , Redis, local node applications. Also require a suggestion on the NAS part to be handled. Do we just create a shared folder or have some NAS app allowing each user some space like ownCloud or something. If required maybe an server for Adobe apps as well in later point of time for storing media files.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then please mention.
Ans: 50k max

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: Nope

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Ubuntu 20.04 or Ubuntu 18.04 LTS (server editions) or keen to use Debian too.

5. How much hard drive / solid-state drive space is needed?
Ans: The usage is based on storing huge data so yes HDD of 2-4TB . Please suggest an SSD as well for bootup/OS. I have good experience running WD green and Samsung 860Evo 256GB in my home build.

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention the screen size and resolution you prefer. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, then do mention the screen size and resolution of the monitor you have.
Ans: Already have a 22inch Dell LED 1080p. Usage is non gaming and mainly office/admin related so monitors are already present with me and other bells and whistles arent required.

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy? i.e. which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: Mouse/KB, UPS (already have APC 1100VA) , GPU (not required as of now, but slot would be helpful in case we are using rendering applications).

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: This week itself.

9. Have you ever built a desktop before? Or, will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: Assembler by the shop owner

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Gurugram,
Nehru place is preferred for building locally. It's a little urgent therefore online is not preferred.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: Haven't had the chance to build a non-gaming PC hence want your suggestions for CPU,RAM , Mobo and PSU. This machine would be used heavily by all of the developer teams. Should be robust enough to handle such load. RGB cabinets are not required but yes I would require good cooling setup as my current setup already has multiple switches and routers installed and they already generate a lot of heat. Also if mobo supports multiple displays without GPU that would be great too.

Regards
Tanmay

CPU - Intel i5 10400 - 15k

Mobo - MSI B460M Pro VDH WiFi - 9k

RAM - 1x16GB DDR4 2666MHz - 5k

GPU - iGPU

M.2 SSD - Kingston A2000 500GB - 5k

HDD - Seagate Barracude 4TB 5400RPM - 8k

PSU - Gigabyte P550B 80+ Bronze - 3.5k (can add upto 180W GPU comfortably)

Cabinet - Silverstone Fara R1 - 3.6k (Add more fans if needed)

Monitor - Yours

Total - 49.1k

*Get 2666MHz RAM but sometimes higher freq RAM is cheaper. Say a 3000MHz RAM will underclock & run at 2666.

No idea about NAS or other stuff. @whitestar_999 @SaiyanGoku Any experience?

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
No idea about NAS or other stuff. @whitestar_999 @SaiyanGoku Any experience?
For a NAS, they can just buy a cheap dual core config and stick high capacity storage into that, unless they need high read/write speed also.
For VMs, it is better to get as many cores/threads as possible and minimum 8C/16T IMO.
Edit:
Too OP for a NAS setup:

Last edited:
OP
tanmaymohan

tanmaymohan

Geek v1.0
NAS is just one part of work that the machine should fulfill. yes compute power is very much required in my case

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
@omega44-xt these are the reference prices of nehru place delhi, no asrock mobo so see if anything good available from msi/gigabyte(prices are exclusive of gst so add extra 18%) for ryzen 3600 considering heavy system load.
*www.costtocost.in/list/pricelist.pdf

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
PrimeABGB has AMD Ryzen 4650G available for 17K. Buy Online AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 4650G 3.7GHz 6 Cores-12 Threads Processor - in India

That’s a decent price. Pair it up with a B550 motherboard and dual channel 3200 MHz.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
PrimeABGB has AMD Ryzen 4650G available for 17K. Buy Online AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 4650G 3.7GHz 6 Cores-12 Threads Processor - in India

That’s a decent price. Pair it up with a B550 motherboard and dual channel 3200 MHz.
It has been available for quite some time now.

Nerevarine

Incarnate

This is the first im hearing of this processor, is it equal to a Ryzen 5 3600 but with Integrated Vega GPU support ? would it be good for video rendering ?

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is the first im hearing of this processor, is it equal to a Ryzen 5 3600 but with Integrated Vega GPU support ? would it be good for video rendering ?
Yes, that's what it is. Do note that this has 1/4th of L3 cache compared to 3600.

Top Bottom