Substituting desktop with laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

ramborums

Broken In
HI,

Is it a good idea to replace my business desktop with a laptop?
The plus points in favour are that I save the cost of the desktop, I dont have to managing the regular syncs.
The minus point I am concerned is about the battery maintenance. Is it okay to keep using the laptop on mains power through the day? Any impact on the battery life likely?

Thanks for any inputs.

Regards
Ramesh

theraven

Technomancer
the newer batteries do not require to be discahrge completely before being used again !!
but yet to be safe unplug ur laptop battery when ur on mains power !!
also even thos a compelte discharge is not required , plz do so atleast once in a while ( say maybe once in a month )

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
What I was wondering is - why would you want to replace your desktop with a notebook PC? Its not like the desktop replacement laptops are light enough to be lugged around wherever one goes. Plus, when it comes to raw power, there's no way a laptop can compete with a desktop. And if space is all you're worried about, then wouldn't it be better to go in for a slim form factor PC like the ThinkCenter instead of a laptop?
And I didnt understand that part about the regular syncs. If you're using a desktop or a laptop, isnt syncing them going to be just the same, unless its with another laptop? If it were me, I would rather invest the money in a SFF PC rather than a laptop as a desktop replacement. And like theraven said, you dont really have to worry a lot about the newer batteries.

OP
R

ramborums

Broken In
I am much in need of power of office work. My main concern is will my battery die out faster if I use it like all day like my desktop.
The sync I mention is between desktop and laptop. If I use the laptop whole time, then I dont need to sync at all. All the data with me all the time.
But will this be technically a good idea?

G

gxsaurav

Don't worry, U can use the Laptop, any one based on Centrino or Pentium M, full day on AC Power, your battery won't wear out

U should go for a Laptop based on atleast 1.7 GHz Pentium M with 2 MB L2 Cache, with 512 MB RAM, & 80 GB HDD or if possible 120 GB HD, with a Combo drive, & Wi-Fi, with 15" Screen

This will definetly be better then the dekstop, if U are mostly on the move, infact, Desktops are quite useless for pro officers who all the time work, & hardly get any other thing to do, for which they will need the Big screen

@enoonmai

he is looking not for a desktop replacement, but for something which he can carry with himself, for his bussiness work

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
@gxsaurav: LOL, thanks for clearing that up. I was a bit thrown off track with the "Is it a good idea to replace my business desktop with a laptop?" question and assumed he was planning to replace his desktop with a laptop. :D Thanks again!

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
if ur using your lappie for business, most probably u will be using it for some word documents or presentations... i guess ACER ASPIRE 1362 priced at Rs. 29,900 will suit you. Its got Amd Sempron 2800+ along with 256 mb ddr ram. Also you get a combo drive and a 15" screen. I guess this is more than enough for a business pc. 256 mb ddr ram is more than enough. even my dad has got 256 mb ddr in his lappie and it runs an a/v, firewall and applications satisfactorily. Also 512 mb for a lappie will cost you a bomb....

Kannan

In the zone
Gues what, I have spent around 1.2 Lacks for my PC and now I feel I could have got a lappie for that !!

Still no lappy can replace my Desktop's Power :twisted:

If you can spend around Rs. 50,000/- then Acer TravelMate 4002WNLCi

Spec:
Pentium M 1.6 GHZ
512 MB RAM
Ati Mobility Radeon 9700
15.4 inch LCD
60 GB HDD
Combo Drive
802.11g
10/100 LAN solution

and weighs 2.98 kg

Info Taken from this month's DIGIT mag :wink:

It has been reviewd as a Best Buy

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
when u r dealing with laptops, battery life is always a concern....but since u can keep it plugged in when u hae a power outlet, it's not a problem...then the only issue that remains is portability...and in that department, Centrino based laptops r the best...kannan has given a good config...but do look at other brands like Dell and IBM...c which 1 fulfills ur needs best and which 1 is most pocket friendly :wink:

if i understood ur question preoperly, u wanna save urself the trouble of syncing between ur home and office PCs...if that's right, then a laptop is a gr8 idea :wink:

Kannan

In the zone
Yeah Nemesis is correct. Dell and HP are good brands.

But seems DELL Indian products are little older config than their competitors.

A suggestion. Get a laptop cooler if you are going to have your lappie as desktop replacement.

Go for Antec's Laptop Cooler.
*www.antec.com/us/pro_notebookcooler.html

And one more thing. Antec's Main and only Indian importer Cyberspace Abacus M.D is my friend. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom