Streaming related query

scavanger007

On KillingSpree!!!
Hello,
So i am planning to stream and I have decided on dual pc stream setup.
I have a gaming laptop and I have a work desktop. I am going to use internal elgato capture card in this setup.
So during my research about dual pc setups, every article mentioned that the streaming pc can use an average cpu, u dont need anything fancy. The problem is no article specifically tells what is an average cpu.
That is why i want to know whether i need to change the cpu of my work desktop or my existing AMD 2200G processor enough for the stream.

Also, if i have to change, i think amd 5600X is good? Will it be decent for video processing for youtube purpose?

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I think a 5600x should be good enough for streaming. But depending on the type of content you are streaming, you might need a beefy GPU. It makes sense to offload your video encoding to the GPU so that your CPU will not be under a huge load. If you are streaming simple desktop applications then you won't need a heavy GPU but if streaming games then your GPU would be doing both: rendering the game and encoding the video, so make sure you have a decent GPU for that.

DestGod

Journeyman
Hello,
So i am planning to stream and I have decided on dual pc stream setup.
I have a gaming laptop and I have a work desktop. I am going to use internal elgato capture card in this setup.
So during my research about dual pc setups, every article mentioned that the streaming pc can use an average cpu, u dont need anything fancy. The problem is no article specifically tells what is an average cpu.
That is why i want to know whether i need to change the cpu of my work desktop or my existing AMD 2200G processor enough for the stream.

Also, if i have to change, i think amd 5600X is good? Will it be decent for video processing for youtube purpose?
Entire PC and laptop specs? What will you be streaming, and on which platform?

Ideally, you're quad core 2200G will suffice for a streaming PC, as it will only run OBS (expect moderate CPU usage though).

OP
scavanger007

scavanger007

On KillingSpree!!!
Laptop - acer predator helios 300 PH315-53 (Octa Core i7 10th Gen 10870H- (16 GB/1 TB HDD/256 GB SSD/Windows 10 Home/6 GB Graphics/NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060/144 Hz)
work desktop - amd 2200g proc, 16 gb ram, no graphic card, 256gb ss, 1tb hdd

streaming on twitch and/or youtube

DestGod

Journeyman
With good laptop specs like those, you could easily stream with your GPU's encoder and avoid the hassle of setting a dual PC setup. It's your choice though, and for streaming esports titles or light games, you could go with your laptop for streaming. While streaming heavier and AAA games, a dual PC setup would be better.

Your PC specs are good enough to run as a streaming PC. Consider picking up a Ryzen 5 5600 or 5500 a few months later. Prices of these chips would drop by then, due to the launch of next gen CPUs (AMD Zen 4 and Intel Raptor Lake).

OP
scavanger007

scavanger007

On KillingSpree!!!
Yeah, the reason I opted for dual pc setup is coz in my trial stream , i did notice the quality dropping once in a while, while playing Monster Hunter Rise.

Also r u aware whether I can use any monitor with capture card or do I have to look for certain compatibility between them? I m planning to buy a gaming monitor , but I have no idea whether capture card requires monitor at specific refresh rates or not. (will be duplicating my laptop screen on that monitor coz laptop screen kinda small)
I have looked up certain monitors with 144 and 165 refresh rates, but havent decided coz capture cards is a completely new hardware for me.

DestGod

Journeyman
Yeah, the reason I opted for dual pc setup is coz in my trial stream , i did notice the quality dropping once in a while, while playing Monster Hunter Rise.

Also r u aware whether I can use any monitor with capture card or do I have to look for certain compatibility between them? I m planning to buy a gaming monitor , but I have no idea whether capture card requires monitor at specific refresh rates or not. (will be duplicating my laptop screen on that monitor coz laptop screen kinda small)
I have looked up certain monitors with 144 and 165 refresh rates, but havent decided coz capture cards is a completely new hardware for me.
No, there is no requirement between monitors and the capture card. Any monitor with a HDMI port will work. Don't worry about the refresh rates, you will be able to play to play on your desired refresh rate (144hz or 165hz), but your stream will be capped to 60fps.

Rather than duplicating your screen, use Extend. That will be better, as you can use your laptop screen for discord or chat or general use and your gaming monitor for gaming.

Btw, if you haven't bought the Elgato card yet, there are alternatives on Amazon that are cheaper and get the job done.

Use this video as reference-

Last edited:
Top Bottom