Sound and gap below touchpad

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Hi,

We went to buy a hp laptop because it was fitting our budget. We were confused between the HP Pavilion 15- 2150 and 2008. Selected the 2008 but the model at the display in the showroom was having this tik-ish sound even if we press anywhere on the touchpad. I can understand the right and left click sound but sounds from the other areas sounded weird. Check this video
In the starting and ending part right and left clicks are pressed, the rest is random clicking in between. Is this normal? Just confirming as their spare parts+servicing costs a bomb. The showroom owner was very kind and opened a new box and allowed us to check the touchpad, it had the same "issue".
Second see the gap below the touchpad, it is very small but it is exposing the internal part a bit and dust was definitely go through it
Some units had this gap, some didn't. Same for the 2150 model. Again is this normal or can it cause issues in the longer run? There is no way to clean the dust going through it because it will require to disassemble every component.
The showroom owner said that these are entry level laptops with gpu's so the oem's cheap out on things like this. This is a very big purchase for us hence these stupid questions, sorry.

@whitestar_999 @patkim @Desmond

Thanks

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Can't say for sure but the logic given by the shopkeeper sounds reasonable as I have seen similar examples in other products where companies cheap out on basic things just to lower the cost.

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Can't say for sure but the logic given by the shopkeeper sounds reasonable as I have seen similar examples in other products where companies cheap out on basic things just to lower the cost.
What about the gap below the touchpad? We are worried about the dust going in there. Our main concern is that these things shouldn't give issues in the longer run.
Is Lenovo and Asus's build quality better than hp?

50-60k is indeed a budget laptop on a global scale, so like a $600 laptop. Anything under $1000 is in the budget territory, kind of. Maybe you can say from $800 mid-tier starts for some laptops. $800 laptops will cost like 80k here. US & EU citizens just earn a lot more compared to Indians. For us, 50k can be 1 month salary or more, but in US, even $1000 will be easily under the 1-month salary for even a min. wage worker earning say $10 x 40hrs per week x 4 = $1600.

Anyways, you can click the touchpad anywhere these days, I think copied from Apple MacBooks. QC is not very high in budget laptops & yes, dust cleaning will be a pain.

Top Bottom