[SOLVED] [Buying Advice] Budget Android Smartphone

nac

Aspiring Novelist
My mom wanting to get a better phone than the one she has been using for the past few years (Nokia C1-02), I suggested Nokia 216. How about a smartphone? Just thinking...

One of the reason she wants a new phone is that voices are not clear/audible when she is talking with someone on the phone.

There is no clear budget right now. Based on my initial research, smartphones from brands I am aware of starts from 6-7k. For now I am keeping a budget of about 10k, prefer to buy one for ~7k, don't want to hit the roof of my budget. But if it's worth, I may be okay to spend more. I would like to learn a bit about smartphones before making this buying decision. I am not in a hurry and neither is she. If you guys have any link to sites to read about technical stuffs, post the link. It would be really appreciated.

Since I couldn't find a questionnaire, the information I provide in this post would be good enough. I have given my budget above and here are the other information,

No problem with the size of the display, it can be any size. As far as resolution is concern at least HD is needed, if possible FHD

Looking for 4G Volte android smartphone (Dual sim 4G Volte + 4G Volte). I don't know if there is any model which have this feature, the models I saw have 4G+2G only. Does 4G+4G exists?

Prefer to stick with popular brands, should be reliable and have long life and good after sales/service.

Intended uses are voice calling, messaging, internet related stuffs like Whatsapp video calling, Skype, browsing, Youtube, photo capturing and viewing. ZERO GAMING

Looking for dual sim models. They should have dedicated slots for SIM, shouldn't share slot with memory.

I will be buying a new phone, don't have any intention of getting used or refurbished.

Will buy from Online or offline, that depends.

How good the embedded batteries are? How to replace the battery when needed if it's embedded? Guess it would be an expensive route. If embedded options are not good, I would like to stick with removable battery options.

I thought all latest smartphones comes with OTG support, but learned that's not the case. I prefer to buy one with OTG support.

Minion

Conversation Architect
Builtin battery can be easily replaced by service centers .

Get her a lenovo Z2 plus 32 GB
Lenovo Z2 Plus (Black, 32GB): Amazon.in: Electronics

This phone don't have SDcard slot but 22GB is more than enough

Reactions: nac

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Motorola Moto E4 Plus -Buy Moto E4 Plus (Iron Gray, 32 GB) Mobile Phone Online at Best Price in India |Flipkart.com

moto e plus (4th gen.) - massive battery. major upgrade.

Full Specifications:
operating system
Android™ 7.1.1, Nougat
system architecture/processor
MT6737 Quad-core 1.3 GHz
ARM Mali T720 MP1 650 MHz
memory (RAM)
3 GB
storage (ROM)
32 GB
dimensions
155 x 77.5 x 9.55mm
weight
198 g
display
13.97cm (5.5) HD (1280×720) up to 16 million colours
267ppi
2.5D cover Glass
battery
5000 mAh*
Embedded
10W rapid charger
networks
GSM
WCDMA
TDD
FDD
bands
GSM B2/3/5/8
WCDMA B1/2/5/8
TDD LTE B40
FDD LTE B1/3/5/7/8
connectivity
MicroUSB (usb 2.0)
3.5mm headset port
Bluetooth® technology
Bluetooth® version 4.2
Wi-Fi
802.11 b/g/n
Wi-Fi hotspot
Rear camera
13 MP
ƒ / 2.0 aperture
1.12 um microns
78° lens
Autofocus
Single LED flash
Burst Mode
Panorama
HDR
Video: 720p (30fps)
Beautification mode
Front camera
5 MP
ƒ / 2.4 aperture
1.12 um microns
84° lens
Fixed focus
Single LED flash
Burst mode
HDR
Beautification mode
video capture
MPEG4
720p (30fps)
H.263
VGA
(MT6737 embedded)
SIM card
Dual Nano-SIM
speakers/microphones
Dolby® Atmos
Dual microphones
NFC
No
location services
GPS, AGPS
sensors
Proximity
Light
Accelerometer
base colour
Iron Grey
Fine Gold

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Thanks guys.

Checked spec and watched reviews of these models. Moto is a new one, not many reviews available.

The Lenovo is one of the top 50 models based on Antutu bench and it's the cheapest among the 50. That's impressive. Despite rate cut, it's still over my budget. :(
Still have concerns over embedded battery and no expandable storage.

gta5

Ambassador of Buzz
was in a similar position recently , my reply is heavily focused in terms of long term reliability and after sale service for average user , and not focused on specs/power/extreme media user .. so if focus is performance and specs then my reply is" not right" for your use case . and budget 10k

from the description I am guessing you want a "long lasting durable phone" and looking for good after sales service only ? then avoid moto,lenovo, xiaomi or any other brands ... unfortunately good brands are limited at this price range.. so it's either Samsung or Nokia and you aren't going to get specs that you can get with other chinese vendors..

the models that you need to look out are Samsung Galaxy J3 (2017 model .. yet to launch in india expect it at 10k this month) and Nokia 3 if rough use case .. with some deal or discount Rs 9000 would be a decent price for j3 2017

Nokia 3 advantage is it's ultra strong build quality and premium design .. Pure stock android And confirmed to get upcoming Android 8.0 otherwise it is average in all other areas .. consider it only if phone is going to be handled roughly otherwise avoid it
and wait for galaxy j3 2017...

while Samsung galaxy J3 2017 is otherwise superior in every way than nokia 3 apart from design and build quality and software update...

J3 2017 - great battery life as processor is built on 14nm very very efficient even with low battery capacity of 2400mah , decent rear camera for price, has a selfie flash , probably will not get android 8.0 , .. check out review

other options that you will come across ...

Galaxy j3 pro - available at 8,000 .. the processor and OS is old plus it has amoled display.. most would consider AMOLED screen as a great plus point but not if you want longevity ... Amoled screens are great when it comes to contrast and colour quality but unfortunately they suffer from defect know as "Amoled Burn in" so after a period of time 2 years or so depending upon use screen starts getting affected so if you are looking for a long lasting phone avoid amoled.. google more about it if you want , some screens may suffer only minimally depending upon luck , some not .. and amoled screens are expensive to replace ... many other models from sasmung have amoled and thus i avoid them

Galaxy On5 pro and On7 pro .. the screens touch response isn't good .. many negative reviews regarding touch responsiveness.. but you can get on5 pro for 7k ... would have been a great phone otherwise at this price... i cancelled my order because of the reviews..

avoid phones with less than 2gb ram

Last edited:
OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
I have been digging online for the last 3-4 days.

Other than build and connectivity, Nokia 3 is not good. Reviews aren't good either. So it's out.
J3 Pro comes with Android version 5, I don't know if they will ever roll out any upgrade. And most likely that won't be Nougat.
Don't find J3 2016 good, and 2017's spec isn't making me to want to wait for it's launch.

Seems like I am going with the mass and will buy one of the Chinese brand mobile.

Checked about 40 models, seems like I have to compromise on something. And I am kinda convinced with Redmi 4. But I don't know if I can grab one in this flash sale.

I like Z2+, but the price, no expandable storage making me to settle for something else. Is there any discount coupon in Amazon, something like 10% or more? If there is any, I may buy Z2+. If there is any, let me know guys. And if you have any tips to how to grab Redmi 4 in flash sale, post that as well.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I really appreciate it.

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Thought of giving it a try in Flipkart flash sale today,
HOLY FXXX!!! I didn't even see BUY option. From COMING SOON to SOLD OUT, that too within few seconds. My PC clock is synced. What's the chance one have if this is how it its :( :banghead::banghead:

gta5

Ambassador of Buzz
you can get it offline for Rs 500 more as well ..

Xiaomi Redmi 4 now available through offline retail stores

or play the lottery game.. though there are certain automated scripts and extensions you can try to buy it ..with this you have a good chance if you have a decent internet connection..

for eg-

Price Tracker - Comparison, Auto Buy, History

FlashSaleTricks

Last edited:
OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Tried today morning to see if this is possible to add one in cart by checking Mi Max. Surprisingly I did able to add, and I was hopeful that I can get Redmi 4.

Added 'autobuy' extension, it seemed promising.

I was trying in both the sites (Mi and Amazon), just in case autobuy screws up. Since I was sure autobuy will take care in Amazon, I was in Mi site to try my luck. As soon as 'Buy now' appeared, I clicked after few seconds to a minute I was told it's out of stock. :(

And autobuy didn't add it in the cart, all I see is 'add to cart' option waiting to be clicked manually. I thought autobuy already placed, but cart is empty. Clicked add to cart, after checking deals again add to cart displayed, still cart is empty. By now 18% is claimed. Tried again with no success, now 30+% claimed. Tried again with no success, now it's 50+% claimed. I lost hope and clicked again, now it's in my cart.

After placing the order, autobuy page automatically opened. What does that mean? Autobuy added that in cart? Then why was I given an option to click add to cart?

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Yeah up to 10k budget check Moto E4 Plus, insane battery, good camera, or check Moto G5, very good camera, so so battery. Read the Nokia 5 review, not particularly good, don't see any point of going for it over the said Motos, its not that Nokia of the past anyway.

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Go with Motorola Moto E4 Plus -Buy Moto E4 Plus (Iron Gray, 32 GB) Mobile Phone Online at Best Price in India |Flipkart.com
Yeah up to 10k budget check Moto E4 Plus, insane battery, good camera, or check Moto G5, very good camera, so so battery.
try with another extension .. it may have stopped working ..
... now it's in my cart.
After placing the order,...
Seems like I was not clear in my last post. Sorry guys. I successfully placed order, and Redmi 4 is on the way.

Thanks everyone for your suggestion and advice.

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
congrats.. :) use a good case and tempered glass
Thank you. :)
I prefer to keep it with no case, but if my mom wants I will buy one.
It's 2.5D glass, it's scratch resistant. I don't know if curved tempered glasses are available for Redmi 4. If I can't find one, I'll buy a regular one in local market.

TigerKing

Wise Old Owl
It's 2.5D glass, it's scratch resistant. I don't know if curved tempered glasses are available for Redmi 4. If I can't find one, I'll buy a regular one in local market.

not available..
those who are claiming 2.5D Tempered Glass, which are not exactly curved but they cover full screen and hide those Side Gaps.

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Received the package, charged the battery, updated when I saw notification. Still there is downloading going on, I don't get it. Please check the snapshots (total of 3, stitched together)

MIUI version in my phone is 8.2.10.0 stable version (you can see that in first two snapshots). I don't know why again it's downloading the same version (last snapshot). Anyone have any clue? Should I abort? It's a waste of time if it's the same thing.

image.jpg

gta5

Ambassador of Buzz

Redmi 4 isn't strong build quality wise .. protect it as much as you can .. a case in addition to adding some durability will also provide a good grip .. as aluminium back phones tends to be slippery thus are more prone to accidental drops ..

Last edited:

TigerKing

Wise Old Owl
Received the package, charged the battery, updated when I saw notification. Still there is downloading going on, I don't get it. Please check the snapshots (total of 3, stitched together)

MIUI version in my phone is 8.2.10.0 stable version (you can see that in first two snapshots). I don't know why again it's downloading the same version (last snapshot). Anyone have any clue? Should I abort? It's a waste of time if it's the same thing.

Hi, cancel that download..
and download from site..
It happened to me many times, if you check Download folder in File Explorer. You will see more zip files..

Download from here...
MIUI ROM for Redmi 4 - MIUI Downloads - Xiaomi MIUI Official Forum
Direct Link - *bigota.d.miui.com/V8.2.10.0.MAMMIEA/miui_HM4XGlobal_V8.2.10.0.MAMMIEA_740d96d8c9_6.0.zip

Unlocked bootloader? Rooted??
Then simply flash this above zip from link from Custom Recovery, it will keep Custom recovery and User Data. After that flash lazyflasher for avoiding bootloop and supersu for root.
If you flash this above zip using Updater app you need to Flash Custom recovery again from Computer.
In both case you will not loose data. But take backup for safety.

If you want re-lock boot loader or use complete stock build, using Mi Flash Tool.. Use fastboot ROM.
MIUI Fastboot Update
Direct Link - *bigota.d.miui.com/V8.2.10.0.MAMMIE...EA_20170609.0000.00_6.0_global_4c9d3b3e6f.tgz

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Redmi 4 isn't strong build quality wise .. protect it as much as you can .. a case in addition to adding some durability will also provide a good grip .. as aluminium back phones tends to be slippery thus are more prone to accidental drops ..
:(
Protected screen with tempered glass. They don't have hard case here, only have soft case. Decided to wait for hard case to arrive.
Hi, cancel that download..
and download from site..
It happened to me many times, if you check Download folder in File Explorer. You will see more zip files..

Download from here...
MIUI ROM for Redmi 4 - MIUI Downloads - Xiaomi MIUI Official Forum
Direct Link - *bigota.d.miui.com/V8.2.10.0.MAMMIEA/miui_HM4XGlobal_V8.2.10.0.MAMMIEA_740d96d8c9_6.0.zip

Unlocked bootloader? Rooted??
Then simply flash this above zip from link from Custom Recovery, it will keep Custom recovery and User Data. After that flash lazyflasher for avoiding bootloop and supersu for root.
If you flash this above zip using Updater app you need to Flash Custom recovery again from Computer.
In both case you will not loose data. But take backup for safety.

If you want re-lock boot loader or use complete stock build, using Mi Flash Tool.. Use fastboot ROM.
MIUI Fastboot Update
Direct Link - *bigota.d.miui.com/V8.2.10.0.MAMMIE...EA_20170609.0000.00_6.0_global_4c9d3b3e6f.tgz
Downloading completed last night. It didn't automatically extract and install anything. I don't want to do it manually like unlocking/flashing.
The link you provided and the one I downloaded seems like the same one.
No, no, no... I have no idea or any intention to unlock, flashing and all. In fact, I don't even know what they are. I thought of trying once before, that was long time ago. Not now and esp. not with the new phone/mom's phone.

Since the version I downloaded and the version I have in the mobile, seems exactly the same. I am assuming both are same and choose not to update.

Since I am new to smartphone, I prefer a simple method, something like windows update. I click update, it will automatically download and install. If needed, I will restart the system. Don't want any more complicate update process.

Top Bottom