SoC confusion

setanjan123

In the zone
Guys was wondering which offers the best gaming performance. Adreno 305 (redmi 1s), powervr sgx 544 (zenphone a400cg), Mali 400mp (a plethora of phones running mtk6589). Now, most likely the Mediatek doesn't stand a chance. What about adreno 305 and power vr sgx 544. If I am not wrong the zenphone 4 has the sgx 544mp2 which is more powerful than the adreno 305.. It has a lower resolution than the redmi. But the adreno has better opengl support. I have heard developers optimized their games for adreno gpus. Is it true? Which phone delivers realistically the best gaming performance and experience . I own a redmi 1s btw.

Last edited:

Minion

Conversation Architect
Tegra Chipset provides best gaming performance and experience.

This goes like this
Tegra >>Adreno 330>>PowerVR544>>MaliMP

Adreno 305 is not great when playing games it lags while playing tower defense My younger brother has a Xolo Q700 with PowerVR 544 GPU and he can play MC4 with it.

It is not true that Mediatek Chipset are bad and Qualcomm Chipset are better. Only Snapdragon 800,600 are better but they comes with high end phones.Mostly mediatek Chipset comes with mid range and low end phones and their performance is not far behind from Snapdragon 400.

Mediatek is going to release some chipset around dec which will change mind of people regarding them.
for more info read this
MediaTek Launches MT6752 – a 64-bit octa-core LTE SOC Latest LTE product to enable Super-mid market - MediaTek

Last edited:

rish1

Cyborg Agent
Guys was wondering which offers the best gaming performance. Adreno 305 (redmi 1s), powervr sgx 544 (zenphone a400cg), Mali 400mp (a plethora of phones running mtk6589). Now, most likely the Mediatek doesn't stand a chance. What about adreno 305 and power vr sgx 544. If I am not wrong the zenphone 4 has the sgx 544mp2 which is more powerful than the adreno 305.. It has a lower resolution than the redmi. But the adreno has better opengl support. I have heard developers optimized their games for adreno gpus. Is it true? Which phone delivers realistically the best gaming performance and experience

you mean to say mt6582 with 400mp...

going by the raw performance

power vr 544 ( zenfone 4 ) = adreno 305 > mali 400( 6582 )

but it all comes down to resolution .. an android One phone having 800x480 with 6582 chip equals moto g in gaming due to resolution..

but since zenfone 4 has a low resolution it beats redmi 1s with a good 55 % advantage

meaning zenfone 4 is 55 % more powerful than redmi 1s.. yes games are made to run on adreno more because it is available on so many devices but big games will be optimized for power vr and mali as well don't worry..

but i would suggest buy none of the above and wait for Mt 6732 chip as it is having Mali t760 Mp2 which should be a good upgrade over adreno 305 so wait for that and it will have better compatibility as well plus 64 bit and 4g as well.. so wait 1 or 2 months they should be out by november

Last edited:
OP
setanjan123

setanjan123

In the zone
I own a redmi 1s. So wanted to know if I made a good choice. I found out that the powervr in the zenphone 4 is actually running at 300mhz instead of 533. But the zenphone has a lower resolution. So there shouldn't be much difference. AFAIK the Qualcomm msm 8228 beats the mtk6589 or 6582 in overall performance. Am I right?

Last edited:

rish1

Cyborg Agent
I own a redmi 1s. So wanted to know if I made a good choice. I found out that the powervr in the zenphone 4 is actually running at 300mhz instead of 533. But the zenphone has a lower resolution. So there shouldn't be much difference. AFAIK the Qualcomm msm 8228 beats the mtk6589 in overall performance. Am I right?

power vr 544 in mediatek 6589 and zenfone 4 are different... 6589 is very weak only gives half of the performance of zenfone 4 because 6589 has only a single core power vr while zenfone 4 has dual core power vr .. MP vs MP2

yes in zenfone 4 it is clocked lower than zebfone 5 .. as a result it performs same as adreno 305

zenfone 5 has much better performance than 305

but zenfone 4 is exactly equal to 305 when it comes to raw performance ... but since zenfone 4 has a low resolution the onscreen performance of zenfone 4 is around 55-60 % better than redmi 1s by default..

there is a workaround
if you want more gaming performance from your phone root it and install resolution changer .. lower your resolution and then play games you'll get good boost at the cost of graphics

Last edited:
OP
setanjan123

setanjan123

In the zone
Ok thanks. Imo the redmi 1s with its bigger screen should offer a better gaming experience. The adreno 305 isn't too weak is it? I hope hd games releasing atleast 6 months later should run at low settings. And this is my first Android so I've got a huge number of games I haven't played yet.

rish1

Cyborg Agent
Ok thanks. Imo the redmi 1s with its bigger screen should offer a better gaming experience. The adreno 305 isn't too weak is it? I hope hd games releasing atleast 6 months later should run at low settings. And this is my first Android so I've got a huge number of games I haven't played yet.

don't worry adreno 305 is the most widely used GPU .. from 6000 rs to rs 25000 mostly all phones have adreno 305.. qualcomm has spammed that gpu as hell :evil: , even in newer chips like snapdragon 410 qualcomm is still using adreno 305 refusing to let it die ,so it gets another lease of life .. and will be supported for next 1-1.5 years easily in all new games by default..

then if you need more performance later say after 1.5 year you can always try the resolution changer trick ;) ..

Last edited:

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
don't worry adreno 305 is the most widely used GPU .. from 6000 rs to rs 25000 mostly all phones have adreno 305.. qualcomm has spammed that gpu as hell :evil: , even in newer chips like snapdragon 410 qualcomm is still using adreno 305 refusing to let it die ,so it gets another lease of life .. and will be supported for next 1-1.5 years easily in all new games by default..

then if you need more performance later say after 1.5 year you can always try the resolution changer trick ;) ..

Adreno 320 is found in Xperia ZR which costs 18k. :/

- - - Updated - - -

Ok thanks. That was needed. I seriously was suffering a bit of buyer's remorse lol.

BTW does Redmi 1S heat up like crazy as FK reviews say?

rish1

Cyborg Agent
Adreno 320 is found in Xperia ZR which costs 18k. :/

you should read carefully .. i said mostly :p

you are talking about 320 in zr for 18k
you can get 330 in mi3 for 14k

but it doesn't form part of "most of the phones"

OP
setanjan123

setanjan123

In the zone
It heats up yes. But the issue is solvable. The heating isn't that much most of the time. And after rooting I've found the heating to be reduced a bit

OP
setanjan123

setanjan123

In the zone
Guys guys you are confusing me. The adreno 305 should be good for a year at least I think. Since so many phones have it. Mobile gaming isn't like pc gaming.

rish1

Cyborg Agent
One can't "get" MI3. :lol:

yes you can it's coming back in 2-3 weeks hopefully with more stock, then it will be replaced by a cheaper version of mi4 with 2gb ram and many people will b able to buy it then... and then there will be 1plus 1 as well but i think it won't be as cheap as mi3

Last edited:

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
yes you can it's coming back in 2-3 weeks hopefully with more stock, then it will be replaced by a cheaper version of mi4 with 2gb ram and many people will b able to buy it then... and then there will be 1plus 1 as well

For a brief 5 sec sale?

- - - Updated - - -

Guys guys you are confusing me. The adreno 305 should be good for a year at least I think. Since so many phones have it. Mobile gaming isn't like pc gaming.

It should. However, don't expect high end games to run after a while. I can only play San andreas @ med on Adreno 320. Adreno 305 gives nearly 30% of Adreno 320's performance.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Ok. The resolution reducing trick will come handy.

Enjoy HD resolution while it lasts. Live the present and stop worrying about the future. :p

- - - Updated - - -

Android gaming gets old very fast imo.
Nothing like good ol' KB mouse combo.

Top Bottom