Sharing PPPoE connection

debarshi

Otaku
Hello,

I have a desktop (Win 7 Ultimate) with 2 LAN cards and my internet connection through cable is by PPPoE connection. I connect to the internet via dial-up in desktop. I do not have a wireless router currently, but if required, I would buy one. I want to share my internet from my desktop to my RAZORBEE Smart TV Upgrade device running Android 2.2. It has support for both Ethernet connection and WiFi through USB dongles. Razorbee | Razorbee

And I also want to share my Internet connection with my Laptop(win XP) which has Wifi support and ethernet as well.

I would be grateful of you please help me in this regard.

Thank You.

skeletor

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Here's what you can do.

1) Buy a Wifi router and use it in conjunction with your current modem. Phone cable will go in your modem. You'll have to change modem's currently "bridged mode" to PPPoE mode through the modem itself. In this case, you'll store your Broadband username and password in the modem. The modem will itself dial and connect to the Internet. The LAN cable will go into the Wifi router you purchased. The Wifi router will then create a Wifi network. You can assign a WPA2 passkey for your Wifi network.

or

2) You can buy an ADSL modem cum Wifi router. This is a two in one device. Phone line will go in this device. This device will store your broadband username and password. It will connect to the Internet and then create a Wifi Access point.

I hope you have an Unlimited plan btw. Which ISP do you have? What I have written above might be useless if you are using cable Internet. What I wrote is true for ADSL connections - like Airtel and BSNL.

OP
debarshi

debarshi

Otaku
Well, I have a cable connection for internet, and that makes it worse. A local ISP. yes, I have an unlimited pack. And just so you know, I have a cross-over cable lying. Could I use it by any chance without having to buy a router. And if I have to, which one can I buy. It would be helpful if you mention some good models and their prices. Dlink is readily available here. And the procedures you listed above., is it for the android or my laptop. Since the above methods won't be working, help will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

OP
debarshi

debarshi

Otaku
I don't have an external modem. The cable goes into the ethernet port of my computer. My Isp uses switches to distribute the cables from one point to various apartments.

skeletor

Chosen of the Omnissiah
I don't have an external modem. The cable goes into the ethernet port of my computer. My Isp uses switches to distribute the cables from one point to various apartments.
hmm okay. You only need a Wifi router then. Single device.

I'd be interested in knowing how you connect to the Internet. Screenshots would do. Do edit out the username and password in the dialer. I also want to know your LAN settings.

A screenshot similar to this: *2.bp.blogspot.com/_8WG9e0s-9C8/TBN...ol-version-4-use-the-following-ip-address.JPG

Because you see, in your case you'd require special configuration which only you'd be aware of. As it is your connection. :)

Honestly, in this case..you should get help from your Internet guy. As only they'd know the right configuration.

is it for the android or my laptop.
Ignore them. They were on how to setup a Wifi network.

You'll still have to create a Wifi network through the router and a WPA2 "passkey" (different from your Broadband password). Your Android phone/laptop will detect the network and connect to it if you use the passkey. The Ethernet cable from your ISP will go into the router which will share the Internet in your home. *reviews.cnet.com/sc/31489123-2-440-back-4.gif

Yup, you can go for a Wireless N router from D-link. Should be around Rs. 1500.

OP
debarshi

debarshi

Otaku
The internet guy, either he doesn't know or he wont tell. Okay. I will post screenshots. It is a variable ip connection. My Isp uses a particular mac id to identify a pc. One mac Id per connection. So I just can't plug it in to my laptop for internet. And though the mac I'd of android can be masked if rooted, I won't root my android or do something illegal as masking the mac address. There lies the problem.
Neither can I afford 2 internet connections for home.
Well, the router I will buy, won't it have a different mac id, than my desktop??

Just a question, can internet be shared on bluetooth. Suppose I have internet connected on my desktop, I switch on bluetooth on both devices. Can I share the internet as I share the data.
And please tell me what is DLNA???

Last edited:

skeletor

Chosen of the Omnissiah
yup. Router will have a different MAC ID. Some routers can clone MAC. Some can't. Tough to guess and be sure.

No, internet can't be shared using Bluetooth in this case.

DLNA is for streaming media over Wifi to a DLNA certified device which can be a TV.

OP
debarshi

debarshi

Otaku
So what are my other options. Do I have other choices. And what are the routers which can clone mac id?
Could you also tell me about wifi dongles and their approx prices. thanks very much for you help.....

noob

Cyborg Agent
Cisco Linksys E1000 Wireless-N Router can clone mac id. I am using it and have cloned mac id so that i can use internet on all machines.

OP
debarshi

debarshi

Otaku
How is its performance. I have a pretty big house. And what is its price????

How can I use dial up my connection through the router??? As much as I know, it just needs a pre shared key and an access point. Means how can I connect to internet through the router, as for now, in my pc I use pppoe connection, and dial up connection.

I don't have wireless adapter in my desktop. So how will I connect my desktop to the internet if my ethernet cable is plugged onto the wireless router.

And just like you explained in the 2nd post here, please explain how I can do the connections and the configuration for the router.

OP
debarshi

debarshi

Otaku
I'd be interested in knowing how you connect to the Internet. Screenshots would do. Do edit out the username and password in the dialer. I also want to know your LAN settings.

Because you see, in your case you'd require special configuration which only you'd be aware of. As it is your connection. :)

Here is the screenshots you wanted, attached . Anything more? :)

Please tell how to configure my router for cable connection......:confused:

skeletor

Chosen of the Omnissiah
The router you will buy will have this option in the settings.

*i.imgur.com/FRp7w.jpg

You'll enter your username and password here. The router will save it. And it will connect when it will be switched on.

MAC Address cloning?

*i.imgur.com/4KhRI.png

OP
debarshi

debarshi

Otaku
Thanks very very much. Just some other doubts. Will my ISP be able to know that I am using a wireless router? And will all linksys and dlink routers support this?

If you could just tell me about the connections to be made, and the settings to be changed in pc, it will be complete

Sorry for pestering you so much. I am kind of newbie in this wireless stuff (which is sooo obvious) and I want to make sure it will work b4 investing in a costly router and wifi usb adapter. Thanks again

You really are great

skeletor

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Since you have asked for a step by step guide. I will give you a step by step guide. :)

This is a work in progress so bear with me for the while.

Instructions might not be to the point because everyone's setup and configurations are different. But these will be fine, I guess. :)

1)

I'm assuming that you have purchased a Wifi router. Linksys E1000 as mentioned by 'noob'....here's how this Wifi router looks from behind.

*i.imgur.com/8BfPx.jpg (you can't see any antenna in this router because it has a built-in 'integrated' antenna)

The other four Ethernet ports on the right can be used by you if you want to connect your computer again by using an Ethernet cable.

So, it will be like this. Cable from your ISP goes into the "Internet" port on your router. A cable from the router goes into the Ethernet port of your computer.

Since you will be using your router to *dial* to PPPoE (I will explain this in the next step), you will NOT require that PPPoE connection in your PC which you have created in my network places. Everything will be done from the router's side.

You will just switch on the router. The router will dial and connect to the Internet. The Internet will get shared to all the devices connected to the router - whether through Ethernet or Wifi. (Wifi is explained later)

2)

To make your Ethernet port on the computer to connect automatically to your router's LAN, here's what you will need to do.

*i.imgur.com/zZxA9.jpg <--- Right click here.....Properties....Internet Protocol properties and make it obtain the IP address automatically.

Note: This is for your Ethernet/LAN card. Not for your *dial-up* connection which you posted. :)

example:

*i.imgur.com/LWwOg.jpg

Note: If you have some settings saved, please take a screenshot and save them. So that in case you mess up configuring, at least you can revert to what you had earlier. :)

4)

Now it is time to configure your router. Connect the Ethernet cable from your ISP to the router's "Internet" port and connect the computer to the router with another Ethernet cable to one of the Ethernet ports at the back of your router.

Your router and your computer will be on the same LAN - local area network. Now you will be able to access your router through the browser and configure it.

*192.168.1.1/ <--- this is the usual configuration page. Open it. It will ask for a username or password. Username should be "admin" and password could be either of "admin" and "password". This is the username and password for your router's configuration portal/page.

After opening your router page. You'll be greeted with something like this: (may be different too...but it's your job to figure out in this case)

*i.imgur.com/FRp7w.jpg

Here you will have to enter the PPPoE username and password which you use to connect. And then save changes.

You will also have to clone the MAC of your LAN card and save in the router.

Here's how you will figure out the MAC address of your Ethernet adapter by opening Command Prompt.

*i.imgur.com/saVC1.jpg

Next you will find the "Clone MAC address" option in your Wifi router and configure it by entering the MAC address which you figured out above.

*i.imgur.com/4KhRI.png (Enter that MAC address here)

SAVE CHANGES.

5)

After saving the changes your router will reboot. Give it a while.

As your router will reboot, you will notice that your Ethernet card in your computer disconnected when the router turned itself off, and then it connected when the router turned itself on.

Wait for 3-4 minutes.

If everything has gone right, you should be able to browse the Internet safe and sound.

6)

Now it is the turn of setting up Wifi.

Choose your Wifi network's name and a WPA2 password to access your network.

*i.imgur.com/qjqmf.jpg

SAVE CHANGES.

7)

Here's how you will connect your Android phone to your home's Wifi network for the first time.

In my case, the Wifi network's name is gagan.

*i.imgur.com/3HKfR.jpg

Then you will enter the Wifi password. Then click Connect. Your Android device will save it. You won't have to do it everytime as your Android device will connect automatically.

*i.imgur.com/bhsXP.jpg

Your *smart TV* which has built-in Wifi should also have similar instructions.

8)

Now, if you want your computer/PC to connect to Wifi.....you should purchase a Wifi USB dongle.

It will look like this and it will connect to your computer's USB port.....just like a pen drive.

You _will_ have to install drivers to use it. Drivers will be supplied to you with the USB Wifi dongle.

Note: Unplug the Ethernet cable in your computer. Using Ethernet and Wifi to connect the same machine to the same network will create conflicts.

*i.imgur.com/y50XS.jpg

Here's how you will connect to your Wifi network in Windows. (after installing drivers for the dongle and all that :) )

*i.imgur.com/qvqas.png

OP
debarshi

debarshi

Otaku
I really dont know how to thank you, bcoz i know the time you spent and the toil you put, just to show me how to set it up...... Just awesome tutorial, with all those illustrations. It will be a lot more easier for me now. Thanks.

Just wanted to know whether my ISP will come to know whether I am using router or not?

skeletor

Chosen of the Omnissiah
^^ no problem there. :)

Just wanted to know whether my ISP will come to know whether I am using router or not?
They shouldn't be able to know.

The reason is, we changed ("cloned") the router's MAC address to that of your computer's Ethernet card.

So, for them....it is your computer connecting. Not your router.

Cable connections are often *locked* to a particular MAC address to prevent unauthorised stealing.

Another thing, I forgot to mention clearly....you will NOT have to dial anything in this setup. Your router is doing the job of dialing, connecting to the Internet, and sharing it seamlessly to all the devices connecting to it. :)

Top Bottom