Setting up local web server

aaruni

The Linux Guy
Hey guys,
I have a fresh install windows XP SP3 (in VM) and I want to set up my smf on it for testing purpose. I have tried XAMPP, but the php didn't run. Can someone please walk me through?

kisame

King of Heroes
Php didn't run???Or its apache.
If apache is not working,install this package
Download: Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86) - Microsoft Download Center - Download Details
This will get apache to start working.

OP
aaruni

aaruni

The Linux Guy
@kisame : I think Apache is working, because I can access *localhost . But if I navigate to smf (*localhost/smf/install.php) it shows me the php file in plain text.

@avindan012 : Can't ubuntu be used instead of backtrack for this?

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
why not use WAMP Server?

usage is very simple .. I had tested Joomla installations using WAMP.

OP
aaruni

aaruni

The Linux Guy
Just installed WAMP on a fresh install XP.

The XP installation had only the following :
Virtual Box Guest Additions
Visual C++ SP 1

After installing WAMP, I get the folowwing :

*i.imgur.com/BWi6e.png

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
known issues with WAMP when used with VM.. BTW.. which VM are you using?

PhreestyleDesign - Install WampServer into a virtual machine

try restarting the VM

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
which version of WAMP and VS++ dist package did you install ? I saw this in the download page for the 32bit installer.

WARNING : You must install Visual C++ 2010 SP1 Redistributable Package x86 or x64
VC10 SP1 vcredist_x86.exe 32 bits : Download: Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86) - Microsoft Download Center - Download Details
VC10 SP1 vcredist_x64.exe 64 bits : Download: Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 SP1 Redistributable Package (x64) - Microsoft Download Center - Download Details

WARNING : Do not try to install WampServer 2 over WAMP5.
If WAMP5 is installed on your computer, save your data, uninstall it and delete the WAMP5 directory before installing WampServer 2.

WARNING : All the components of the v2.2 WampServer stack have been compiled with VC9 version of Microsoft compiler.
Earlier versions of Wampserver have been made with VC6 version of Microsoft compiler.
So, You can't mix components of 2.2 stack with previous version of Wampserver Stack components.
If you do it you will get an instable Wampserver.

OP
aaruni

aaruni

The Linux Guy
I installed 32 bit with php 5.3

I saw the same things too (and downloaded and installed Visula C++ before installing wamp)

OP
aaruni

aaruni

The Linux Guy
i am currently installing LAMP on ubuntu 12.04 .

And no, I don't have another fresh XP, but will do that..

ok, succesfully installed LAMP on Ubuntu. But can't get my files into localhost...

Successfully installed LAMP on Ubuntu 12.04. It is working real nice. Thanks to all!

Top Bottom