Self-hosting discussion

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Self-hosting means to run websites and services on your own infrastructure or your own cloud. This could either be a spare PC in your own home, a Raspberry PI or running on a dedicated server or VPS.

This thread is for discussion on all topics related to self-hosting services on infrastructure you control. Topics including but not limited to:

• Hosting service providers.
  • Self-hosted applications or services.
  • Costs.
  • Setup advice

Let me start with my own setup:

I have my own VPS that is running my homepage: Desmond David

On this server I am running the following services:

• Homepage running on Nginx.
  • SearXNG search engine: SearXNG
  • A Bitwarden server.
  • A Syncthing node.
  • A MariaDB server.

All of this on a $5 per month DigitalOcean VPS with 1 vCPU and 1 GB of RAM.

I am planning on hosting more services, but I might need to get a larger server for these:

• Wordpress site
  • Email server

Nerevarine

Incarnate
I have 2 separate oracle cloud accounts running openvpn. One is in India and another is in Germany.
I just leave the germany one connected. The indian server I use to access indian govt websites like parivahan.
Costs - Completely free forever. Although speeds arent that great, its adequate for torrenting.

I also have a college one drive workspace (1TB) as well as a office365 family subscription (6 TB) to regularly backup my files from my home nas. Backups include photos, movies, tv shows etc.

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I have 2 separate oracle cloud accounts running openvpn. One is in India and another is in Germany.
I just leave the germany one connected. The indian server I use to access indian govt websites like parivahan.
Costs - Completely free forever. Although speeds arent that great, its adequate for torrenting.

I also have a college one drive workspace (1TB) as well as a office365 family subscription (6 TB) to regularly backup my files from my home nas. Backups include photos, movies, tv shows etc.

What is the config of the VMs that you are running OpenVPN on? Also why not Wireguard instead?

Given the state of the internet in India, I think I will get a VPS outside India as well.

Nerevarine

Incarnate

Shape configuration​

Shape: VM.Standard.E2.1.Micro
OCPU count: 1
Network bandwidth (Gbps): 0.48
Memory (GB): 1
Local disk: Block storage only

Running Ubuntu Server.

I wanted to get it running asap, so didnt have much time to tinker. OpenVPN is pretty easy to set up. Perhaps in the future ill upgrade to wireguard.

Top Bottom