Samsung 732NW resolution issue

nac

Aspiring Novelist
For the last few days have this issue. Whatever resolution I set, I see blurry fonts and only part of the resolution is being shown in the screen. For eg. native resolution is 1440x900 but only 1290x860 is shown and that is stretched for the whole monitor.

I thought something wrong with driver, so uninstalled and reinstalled. That didn't fix it. Even Microsoft basic driver didn't fix.
Thought it could be faulty VGA cable, checked with other monitor and it's working fine.

I guess monitor is faulty as it's already 12+yrs old. But would like to confirm it here before ditching. Is there any thing I can do to get the correct resolution other than repairing. My rough guess is it would cost more to repair than selling.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Try last time with some live linux distro. If it is hardware issue then no option other than to replace the monitor.

Reactions: nac
OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
That's a nice suggestion. Didn't strike my mind. Thank you.

Tried Ubuntu 14.x live DVD, there is only one resolution i.e. 1024x768, no other resolution to pick. But again, display is not showing the full resolution. Some part at the bottom and right is out. Took some snapshots, but unfortunately couldn't view them in Windows 10. My rough guess would be the same 15% of the resolution is gone.

cute.bandar

Cyborg Agent
Something to try: Open monitor settings using its buttons. See if there are appearing fully. Next there should be a restore defaults options. Try it!

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Something to try: Open monitor settings using its buttons. See if there are appearing fully. Next there should be a restore defaults options. Try it!
Earlier I tried auto adjustments several times but that didn't fix it. After seeing your message downloaded the manual to see if there is any option to set factory defaults. The only options I see are image reset and color reset. I tried that and got back some of the resolution. Unfortunately still about 5% of resolution is gone and fonts are still blurry.

I am in orange zone but Amazon isn't shipping to my place and I don't have enough dough to get a new one. Since this is a secondary monitor, I hope I will manage with the other one.

Don't know what kinda response I would get from Samsung customer support (if I mail them) as it's out of warranty and it cleared self test.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am in orange zone but Amazon isn't shipping to my place and I don't have enough dough to get a new one. Since this is a secondary monitor, I hope I will manage with the other one.
Try olx to find some nearby seller in your city.

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Try olx to find some nearby seller in your city.
Thank you.
I had these two in my list Acer 31" 2k IPS monitor and LG 24" 4k IPS, since I don't have enough money to get one of them it's still in the buy list. I will get back here to discuss when I about to buy one. Until then I gotta manage with the other monitor I have (Dell 22")

Top Bottom