Router woes.. help pls

arian29

In the zone
I have upgraded to 300 mbps line from Airtel in Delhi. Now airtel has changed the regular Huawei modem with some cheap chinese modem cum router (GPON HGU brand). I want to connect my Neatgear Nighthawk router which I was using earlier with my old plan. I am able to connect it but am not getting the speeds. If I use the chinese moden/router I get 300mbps on its 5G band and around 30mbps on its 2.4G band. But in the netgear I am getting only around 100mbps on both 2.4G and 5G. I do not see any option to specify speeds over lan in both routers. Any suggestions please ?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Netgear Nighthawk R7000 is AC1900 router & should be able to achieve 100mbps+ speed easily on 5GHz band.

@arian29 how exactly are you connecting your nighthawk to airtel modem.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
So you connected nighthawk via lan wire to one of the lan port on airtel modem.If yes then unless lan port on airtel modem is gigabit(aka 1000mbps) then you are limited to 100mbps(I doubt airtel modem has gigabit lan port because as you said it is cheap).

OP
A

arian29

In the zone
It has to be a gigabit port. as many users use direct lan connection. Anyways is there a way to check it ? The modem details are in the images (model and lan setting page).

*i.ibb.co/jfwC6ym/1.jpg

*i.ibb.co/G95RXVg/P-20190922-190130.jpg

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Connect system to nighthawk via lan port & then do the speedtest(disconnect any wifi connection before that). Then do the same speedtest by connecting the system to airtel modem via same lan port.If speedtest is limited to 100mbps then it confirms that port is not gigabit.

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Check the specification of your router/modem, speed should be mentioned there. And I hope you're using CAT 6 or 5E.

Top Bottom