RAM query(urgent)

Status
Not open for further replies.

krisjr

In the zone
Hi,
well I have to change my frends RAM(lady :wink: ) without looking dumb.she has an old PC which has SDRAM(100 mhz)..I checked in her PC that a new hyundai 128 Mb(133 mhz) module works perfectly in other words without any glitch..But what got me edgy is that she has her old 32Mb(100mhz) module still with her which she wants also in the second available slot..

now my query is wether a 128mb ram(133 mhz) work flawlessly in tandem with 32mb ram(100mhz)...Do enlighten me plz..am in a real hurry..I dont want any messy situations there...

she has a Compaq Pc of 4yrs with Win 98SE,celeron,433 mhz, 40Gb HDD.....
Kindly also tell wether the choice of my RAM company is good or bad.i guess not many cos make SDRAMs anymore..But still comment..

Thanx

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
Yes it will work but the combination will make both the ram modules to run at 100MHz only. Not a major problem i think so go ahead with it.

OP
K

krisjr

In the zone
pradeep_chauhan said:
Yes it will work but the combination will make both the ram modules to run at 100MHz only. Not a major problem i think so go ahead with it.

tx dude for the info.well what if i dont add that 32mb(100 mhz) RAM in second slot..will it run at 133mhz..because the new one am geting is of 133mhz type..Only if i add the old 32mb(100mhz),it will run at 100mhz...Is that what u saying mate..

do tell me...
tx

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
yea thats exactly what he is saying. And you might consider still putting in the 32 MB Ram cos the diff between 133mhz and the 100 mhz may be outweighed by the extra 32 MB ram.

OP
K

krisjr

In the zone
icecoolz said:
yea thats exactly what he is saying. And you might consider still putting in the 32 MB Ram cos the diff between 133mhz and the 100 mhz may be outweighed by the extra 32 MB ram.

tx.but will the speed me better(far better) than earlier or not..am planning to install xp also...having said that,wat do u say,will it work properly..

do let me know

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
I suggest throw out or exchange the 32M ram for a 128/256 DIMM 133Mhz it will be better and you will see areal improvement in the system performance more so with win XP

OP
K

krisjr

In the zone
pradeep_chauhan said:
I suggest throw out or exchange the 32M ram for a 128/256 DIMM 133Mhz it will be better and you will see areal improvement in the system performance more so with win XP

Ok mate final check..i was thinking in those lines..but i was again thinking wether a 160mb(128[133]+32[100]) is better option than a single module of 128(133)...Do suggest mate.

swatkat

Technomancer
krisjr said:
Hi,
well I have to change my frends RAM(lady :wink: ) without looking dumb.she has an old PC which has SDRAM(100 mhz)..I checked in her PC that a new hyundai 128 Mb(133 mhz) module works perfectly in other words without any glitch..But what got me edgy is that she has her old 32Mb(100mhz) module still with her which she wants also in the second available slot..

now my query is wether a 128mb ram(133 mhz) work flawlessly in tandem with 32mb ram(100mhz)...Do enlighten me plz..am in a real hurry..I dont want any messy situations there...

she has a Compaq Pc of 4yrs with Win 98SE,celeron,433 mhz, 40Gb HDD.....
Kindly also tell wether the choice of my RAM company is good or bad.i guess not many cos make SDRAMs anymore..But still comment..

Thanx

keeping 128MB@133Mhz and 32MB@100MHz means both will run at 100Mhz.....
or buying another 128MB or 256MB running at 133MHz, and coupling these two will make both run at 133MHz.

but, another thing is being overlooked, Celeron 433Mhz processor has a FSB of 66MHz....
FSB (Front Side Bus) is the bus connecting CPU and System Memory. so, celeron has this bus speed of 66MHz....and hence teh memory modules r transacting with CPU at a speed of 66MHz instead of 100MHz or 133MHz....

Also, even though 133MHz is 33% faster than 100MHz modules, the actual performance difference between the 100Mhz module and 133MHz module is only 5% to 10%....

so it's better to keep ur old 32MB with the new 128MB one, and 160 MB is enough for XP with some eye candies turned off.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom