PC Suggested Configs

Building PC @ my cousin's office, decided to go ahead with 5600G, but got stuck before ordering motherboard as I wanted to get confirmed the Gigabyte A520M K I was planning to order is 5600G ready out of the box. It's been about 2yrs since it's launch, so it should.

For the use case (bunch of Excel/word/Notepad/PDF files, bunch of browser tabs) A520 is good enough, I feel. I don't think the CPU would heat up and throttle with this board. Just would like to confirm here, as I have about 10-12hrs time before placing order. Anyway, I can't ask him now to spend 4k more for B550.

The only bummer I have is Matterex 40 3FS comes with 3 fan and this board has only one header. Splitter should take care of this.
IMO it is a risk indeed. Talk to the seller, else find a local computer store who might do the BIOS update for 500-1000. For normal usage, VRMs of mobo should be fine.

Matrexx 40 is a good enough case. Get a fan hub.

Reactions: nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Seller replied that the board supports 5600G right out of the box.

This should do I guess, but the cable length seems to be short. Will order after seeing fan's cable length.
amazon.in/Splitter-Adapter-Fan-Extension-Way/dp/B07DJDZSFV?th=1

Seller replied that the board supports 5600G right out of the box.

This should do I guess, but the cable length seems to be short. Will order after seeing fan's cable length.
amazon.in/Splitter-Adapter-Fan-Extension-Way/dp/B07DJDZSFV?th=1
Splitter like that should be fine as well.

Reactions: nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
All parts arrived and assembled.

There is a lot of cost cutting with this board. M.2 installation needs to be done with plastic clip like thing instead of screw. No manual/instruction leaflet, no driver CD.
Booted but stuck at BIOS with message "Press DEL to enter setup", I ignored the rest of the message as they are new to me.
After pressing DEL, it showed "Entering setup..." but nothing happened even after waiting for 15 min.
I Reset, but again the same screen. Now I am paying attention to the rest of the message.
New CPU installed, fTPM/PSP NV corrupted or structure changed.
Press Y to reset fTPM
Press N to keep
Pressed N, rebooted to same screen.
After some googling, tried N+Del to enter setup. Suggested to set the TPM security disabled, but I wasn't sure so didn't do it. After enabling XMP, Saved and exited.
Again the same screen, after some googling now I pressed Y. From here everything went smooth.
Just installed OS. Have to do the rest of the things tomorrow or later this week.

Matterex 40 3FS came with molex for the 3 fans. I didn't expect it. I was thinking it would come with 3/4 pin fan connector, but instead it came with molex for all 3 fans. With molex it will run at full speed all the time. :(

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Matterex 40 3FS came with molex for the 3 fans. I didn't expect it. I was thinking it would come with 3/4 pin fan connector, but instead it came with molex for all 3 fans. With molex it will run at full speed all the time. :(
They may not even produce that much noise as I doubt they would be powerful enough. First try them to see exactly how much noise they produce.

nac

Aspiring Novelist
They may not even produce that much noise as I doubt they would be powerful enough. First try them to see exactly how much noise they produce.
I guess it wasn't noisy, may be I wasn't paying attention to that. I will check tomorrow. I am thinking if there is any converter from molex to PWM 3 or 4 pin fan connector would do.

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am thinking if there is any converter from molex to PWM connector would do.
I don't think such a converter exists. For a fan to be PWM controlled it must have pwm connector hard wired else how will fan control its speed even if one somehow manage to connect molex pins of non-pwm fan to a pwm connector.
@omega44-xt

I don't think such a converter exists. For a fan to be PWM controlled it must have pwm connector hard wired else how will fan control its speed even if one somehow manage to connect molex pins of non-pwm fan to a pwm connector.
@omega44-xt
I don't think so as well, because fan should be PWM. There might be some fancy solution to control non-PWM fans

BTW PWM fans cost like 400-500 a piece at least (my Arctic P12 cost me ₹600 a piece, sadly no longer available in India). So I don't expect PWM fans on such budget cases, have seen 5k cases with non-PWM fans.

As mentioned, I doubt the RPM is too high & the noise is too loud.

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Sorry. I mean molex to 3 or 4 pin connector. If 4 pin PWM isn't possible, at least 3 pin should be, right? I am using Corsair spec 01, it came with 3 pin connector. Motherboard fan curve sets the speed of the fan.
Something like this
amazon.in/Electop-3-Pin-ATX-4-Pin-Molex/dp/B01MQ42KMV/ref=sr_1_6?crid=3TB0DU7Q7NC8F&keywords=female+molex+to+4+pin+fan+connector&qid=1698861941&sprefix=female+molex+to+%2Caps%2C236&sr=8-6

Sorry. I mean molex to 3 or 4 pin connector. If 4 pin PWM isn't possible, at least 3 pin should be, right? I am using Corsair spec 01, it came with 3 pin connector. Motherboard fan curve sets the speed of the fan.
Something like this
amazon.in/Electop-3-Pin-ATX-4-Pin-Molex/dp/B01MQ42KMV/ref=sr_1_6?crid=3TB0DU7Q7NC8F&keywords=female+molex+to+4+pin+fan+connector&qid=1698861941&sprefix=female+molex+to+%2Caps%2C236&sr=8-6
Search on reddit. AFAIK, you can't convert a non-PWM fan to PWM easily, there might be some fancy solution. Do update if you find some solution.

Also, molex is used for power only from what I know, so direct power from PSU.

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Search on reddit. AFAIK, you can't convert a non-PWM fan to PWM easily, there might be some fancy solution. Do update if you find some solution.

Also, molex is used for power only from what I know, so direct power from PSU.
I am not trying to get PWM feature. DC fans at least get voltage adjusted if we can connect them in motherboard, right?
3 pin DC fan connector has a RPM sensing pin. With molex to 3 pin connector, I don't know how motherboard would sense the RPM when molex itself has only two pin (yes, it does have only two pin i.e., 12v and ground).
Don't remember Matterex 40 (single fan vairant aka the non 3FS variant) we built couple of years ago had which connector molex or 3 pin. Should check that.
I better shoot an email to Deepcool.

I am not trying to get PWM feature. DC fans at least get voltage adjusted if we can connect them in motherboard, right?
3 pin DC fan connector has a RPM sensing pin. With molex to 3 pin connector, I don't know how motherboard would sense the RPM when molex itself has only two pin (yes, it does have only two pin i.e., 12v and ground).
Don't remember Matterex 40 (single fan vairant aka the non 3FS variant) we built couple of years ago had which connector molex or 3 pin. Should check that.
I better shoot an email to Deepcool.
What are you trying to achieve? PSU should provide required power via molex and fan uses that w/o issues, that's why fan has a molex connector. It will run at 100% fan speed continuously.

I am assuming has just a single connector to it, which is molex. There should not be anything for RGB control.

My Arctic P12 had a PWM connector in single wire, for connecting fan to mobo's 4 pin that's all. Non RGB fan, so no RGB connector.

nac

Aspiring Novelist
What are you trying to achieve? PSU should provide required power via molex and fan uses that w/o issues, that's why fan has a molex connector. It will run at 100% fan speed continuously.

I am assuming has just a single connector to it, which is molex. There should not be anything for RGB control.

My Arctic P12 had a PWM connector in single wire, for connecting fan to mobo's 4 pin that's all. Non RGB fan, so no RGB connector.
My concern here is the fans would be running at 100% all the time even when there is no need (I assume that would be almost always). Can we assume that the life of the fans would be less (or can I say it would age faster) when they run at max speed all the time or it's just a myth?

Going by this seller's description, fans would run at constant speed.
piplus.co.in/products/pi-piplus%E2%84%A2-4-pin-molex-to-4-x-3-4-pin-pc-case-fan-sleeved-adapter-cable-3-pin-or-4-pin-pwm-connector-to-molex-computer-cooler-cooling-fan-splitter-y-power-cable#:~:text=%5BNote%5D%3A%20This%204%2DPin,rotate%20at%20a%20constant%20speed.
Going by this discussion, speed can be adjusted but motherboard won't read fan's RPM. Need more clarity on this.
forums.tomshardware.com/threads/molex-fan-to-mobo-for-speed-adjustment.250475/

My concern here is the fans would be running at 100% all the time even when there is no need (I assume that would be almost always). Can we assume that the life of the fans would be less (or can I say it would age faster) when they run at max speed all the time or it's just a myth?

Going by this seller's description, fans would run at constant speed.
piplus.co.in/products/pi-piplus%E2%84%A2-4-pin-molex-to-4-x-3-4-pin-pc-case-fan-sleeved-adapter-cable-3-pin-or-4-pin-pwm-connector-to-molex-computer-cooler-cooling-fan-splitter-y-power-cable#:~:text=%5BNote%5D%3A%20This%204%2DPin,rotate%20at%20a%20constant%20speed.
Going by this discussion, speed can be adjusted but motherboard won't read fan's RPM. Need more clarity on this.
forums.tomshardware.com/threads/molex-fan-to-mobo-for-speed-adjustment.250475/
Fan's max RPM will be low IMO to compensate for it running at 100% continuously. Like my Arctic P12 goes till 1800RPM & Lancool II case fans goes upto 1400RPM but they run around 1100-1200 RPM while gaming (~1000RPM at idle). Actually those numbers are high, I had configured it to run at under 900RPM, seems like my custom fan curve has failed (Gigabyte one is not working as well as I want it to, friend's AsRock one is worse). Asus armoury crate is heavy but is working fine for my Asus KB (didn't use its mobo yet). Haven't used MSI mobo as well. For idle, its supposed to be 500-600 RPM. GPU fans run at 0 RPM but GPU stays at 55-60C at idle. I wanted 0 RPM for case fans at idle but Gigabyte's software failed me, it would not ramp up the fans when load is applied.

At least because of this thread I could check it.

Anyways, I expect that those fans running at 100% fan speed isn't an issue as it was designed that way. You can try controlling fan speed if you want.

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Case fan model is RF 120FS, it's being sold in Amazon for 400/- and it's 4-pin PWM. I don't know why they chose to use Molex in the case and didn't even bother to name it different.
I wouldn't say they are noisy, pretty much the same as mine - Corsair Spec 01 single fan version. You can hear the noise when the environment is quiet, and no ceiling fans are running.

Stress test using CPU-Z for about a min - High 70s; Idle temp - Mid to high 30s
Max power draw during stress test - About 60w
VRM temp during stress test - 60c; Idle - Low 30s
CPU fan - ~ 2500 rpm; Idle - ~1900 rpm
Max Frequency achieved - 4440mhz

Top Bottom