PC configuration advice sought

romit

Broken In
Dear Thinkdigit members,

I'm looking to buy a PC and seek your expert advice:

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')

I can work about three days from home so the main purpose is to use this as a primary home office PC. I do work on some statistical software so my work benefits from a fast CPU. I like running two monitors. I dual boot between Linux and Win7 (my wife). Applications that I use are the following:
1. Media torrents and media playing
2. A few low-end games. Like SimCity. I leave the heavy hitting games like BF3/MW to my PS3
3. The use of graphics applications like the Adobe Suite
4. Plenty of browser-based software, MS Office
5. Unix-based statistical software

Also a few other points to add:
1. Since I plan to use it for work, I'm particular of its performance and quality and willing to pay for them.
2. My room is usually not airconditioned, and I stay in Mumbai. In case this has bearing on the cooling required

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
I'm quite flexible, but anywhere between 75k-100K looks ok. I'm willing to pay a reasonable premium for quality.

3. Planning to overclock?
Not if I can avoid it.

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Linux/Win dual boot

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
4 TB

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
I need two monitors. The primary monitor: 20", Full HD and secondary monitor 15.6", Full HD

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Don't need a UPS, a printer, or any networking components but need everything else.

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
In February. I'm waiting for the carpenter to finish the desk!

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Does building one in 1995 count?
I'm happy to get my hands dirty, though I leave open the option of asking an assembler to do the job!

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
I live in Mumbai. I've shopped at PrimeABGB and am open to other stores including online.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
I would place a premium on its chassis with respect to performance, sober looks and silent cooling performance. Also, big thanks to the wonderful ThinkDigit Community!

Last edited:

sumonpathak

knocking on heavens door
umm....50K-100K is pretty big range...but since you do Statistical works(which i am sure is well multithreaded),i would suggest you go with FX 8350+990FX combo with whatever u can fit in the price range..

A pretty basic one would be FX8350+Crosshair V formula+HD7870+4TB+Case(subjective stuff)+8GB/16GBram+a good KB/mouse combo with multimedia capabilities.
Should come around 60K mark sans display(can confirm after i look at the prices).

OP
R

romit

Broken In
Thanks sumonpathak
Yes, I agree that a 50K range is a bit too broad. I've edited it to 75K, an am open to it being extended to 100K should there be a good argument for it.
I'll take a closer look at your suggestions.

What is your advice on going with a SSD + 2x2TB Drives? Will I see an improved performance?

Top Bottom