Password protection of folders in cloud

andy_65_in

Padawan
Please advice any free siftware which can be used to password protect files/folders or photo folders also to upload in cloud storage...hundred of such software in google is mindbogling

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Use something like 7-zip while making zip archives and put a secure password when uploading

Link:: 7-Zip

Sent from my vivo 1807 using Tapatalk

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Using password protected archives is the only solution. Since no software has any control on the cloud storage other than the service owner (Google, Microsoft, etc), you won't be able to set a password on a folder unless they add that feature. No software can do that for obvious reasons.

So, password protect the archive and upload.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Since it will be an archive, might as well compress it. It will make the file size smaller so uploading will be easier.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Ok...can that be done in 7 zip..and if so is compression mandatory
What you wish for doesn't really exist. Your account login is already a password lock of sorts for you files. Another lock inside that seems redundant, unless storing files using archiving tools

Sent from my vivo 1807 using Tapatalk

Nerevarine

Incarnate
rclone has a nifty crypto parameter which can upload and download applying crypto operation seamlessly.
rclone works with all cloud providers but its completely command line based, so it would be very daunting for simple tasks

u can obviously download the file separately and decrypt using openssl but u probably need to look how to do it.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
rclone has a nifty crypto parameter which can upload and download applying crypto operation seamlessly.
rclone works with all cloud providers but its completely command line based, so it would be very daunting for simple tasks

u can obviously download the file separately and decrypt using openssl but u probably need to look how to do it.
I didn't recommend rclone because he will probably destroy/corrupt his data by using wrong commands.

OP
A

andy_65_in

Padawan
What i am actually looking for is privacy of all data i intend to upload in cloud...so that its stored in password ? protected mode...and not open storage

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
What i am actually looking for is privacy of all data i intend to upload in cloud...so that its stored in password ? protected mode...and not open storage
When you upload any data to big cloud storage providers(basically google & microsoft) then your data security is linked to your account password & as long as your account is safe then your data is safe. Now privacy is another matter where you don't even want your cloud storage provider to see what you are uploading in which case you have to password protect your data first before uploading to cloud by using software like 7-zip.

Ok...can that be done in 7 zip..and if so is compression mandatory
Compression is not mandatory when using 7-zip as there is a mode with 0% compression/storage mode where your data is just converted to an archive with same size as original data & this process is faster as compressing data takes more processor power.
1593791282136.png

OP
A

andy_65_in

Padawan
When you upload any data to big cloud storage providers(basically google & microsoft) then your data security is linked to your account password & as long as your account is safe then your data is safe. Now privacy is another matter where you don't even want your cloud storage provider to see what you are uploading in which case you have to password protect your data first before uploading to cloud by using software like 7-zip.

Compression is not mandatory when using 7-zip as there is a mode with 0% compression/storage mode where your data is just converted to an archive with same size as original data & this process is faster as compressing data takes more processor power.
View attachment 19251
Ok...thanks

Top Bottom