Open office.org 1.1.5 is soo faast

Status
Not open for further replies.

kumarmohit

Technomancer
Yes man

i dont kno if somone has posted this already or not OpenOffice.org 1.1.5 is out and yes man its really fast

I just tried it and its startup time is 1/4 of 2.0 beta ans around 1/3 of version 1.1.4
and its document execution time is also really good man

Do give it a try

(BTW: Raabo can u include its Windows and LINUX version in November issue if possible October itsel)f

ujjwal

Padawan
Quite glad to hear that, I needed a way to open and edit microsoft powerpoint files, and OOo 1.1.4 is too slow for my likes.

By the way, do they still use their own font library by default, or have they started using the system's freetype2 library?

shirishag75

Right off the assembly line
Hope OO2.0 gets either in the CD/DVD either in Oct-Nov would 've like to test the beta versions only issue is don't have enough bandwidth :-(

tuxfan

Technomancer
I am eagerly waiting for 2.0. It is supposed to have loads of improvement. We will not know its full potential unless a final release comes out. I read recently in one of the mags that as of now the 2.0 beta has lots of features hidden.

One main feature is the OpenDocument standard in Oo_O 2.0. This will make document portability easier. If I send a document to someone else, it doesn't matter what Office Suite he is using as long as that suit is following the OpenDocument standard. Something pretty similar to standard compliant HTML pages. Browser is of no consequence.

Have a look at these
What OpenDocument Is And Why You Should Care ~ by Daniel Carrera
IBM warns on Open Documents
Massachusetts vs. Microsoft? (Some more exponents of Open Document format)
I disagree. Massachusetts, along with most other governments, corporations and individuals in this country and around the world, has dug itself into a hole by tying up so much of its data in a format that can be properly accessed only by the products of a single supplier.

Glad to know 1.1.5 is fast. I have 1.1.3 and will install 1.1.5 now to feel the speed ;)

cool_dude_prav

In the zone
Hmm...

I wonder...
I tried out Oo_O 2.0 or rather, 1.9 but I did not see much difference... Surely Micr0$uck Office loads faster...

But Oo_O 1.1.4 is as slow as 2.0/1.9 ...

I dont think there is much of a difference at all.... :(

OP
kumarmohit

kumarmohit

Technomancer
cool_dude_prav said:
Hmm...

I wonder...
I tried out Oo_O 2.0 or rather, 1.9 but I did not see much difference... Surely Micr0$uck Office loads faster...

But Oo_O 1.1.4 is as slow as 2.0/1.9 ...

I dont think there is much of a difference at all.... :(

Dude 1.1.4 was slow -- we are talking abt 1.1.5 which is a bit improvement on speed front

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
Does the beta have any nagging problems? I would definitely like to try it out!! Or should I just get 1.1.5 and wait until 2.0.0 final comes out? I have been using OpenOffice sine the past 2-3 years and I do feel it's time for a major overhaul of the software.

OP
kumarmohit

kumarmohit

Technomancer
No the Beta has not many problems considering how OOo ppl are extremly patient at testing a release but still its a beta and its heavy and more dependent on JRE and as usual more slower than previous releases

sms_solver

In the zone
i think ms products are getting bigger and bigger with every new version, thus takes lot of time to load even in the fastest computer!!

tuxfan

Technomancer
I will never install a beta unless I have time and patience to take care of errors or mess that it may leave behind. :roll:

shirishag75

Right off the assembly line
Well guys,
I finally decided to download the whole 80 mb chunk on dial-up for oo2.0 beta or 1.9.125 happy with the result. It takes less than 5 seconds with Quickstarter enabled on my desktop. My system is p4/ 128 mb 266 mhz win'98 SE based machine. The only thing left now is to understand how to work with it. Got couple of guides downloaded so will get to working with it. It has many things similar to MS Office but hadn't really been using an office suite for years now hence need to get the basics right.

cool_dude_prav

In the zone
The only thing I seemed to like with the Oo_O 2.0 or rather 1.9 is the logo...

It shows a Oo_O 1.1.4 Logo and the 1.1.4 is struck off with a felt pen effect and same effect is used to write 2.0 :lol:

I think its cool 8)

Prav.

tuxfan

Technomancer
shirishag75 said:
Well guys,
I finally decided to download the whole 80 mb chunk on dial-up for oo2.0 beta or 1.9.125 happy with the result. It takes less than 5 seconds with Quickstarter enabled on my desktop. My system is p4/ 128 mb 266 mhz win'98 SE based machine. The only thing left now is to understand how to work with it. Got couple of guides downloaded so will get to working with it. It has many things similar to MS Office but hadn't really been using an office suite for years now hence need to get the basics right.

Good that you are not used to MS Office. That will make adaption to OOo somewhat easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom