OLED vs IPS

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
I have shifted from Moto G60 to G82. This is a shift from IPS screen of G60 to OLED of G82. I have noticed these:

1. The blacks are much darker on OLED.

2. 60 Hz refresh rate on IPS feels janky compared to OLED.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Nothing can beat OLED on black level comparison. Things might change in future.
Actually it cant change in the future.
In Oleds, each individual pixels turn off to produce blacks, unlike other technologies where the rgb turns black and the brightness is adjusted. There cant be any more black than turning the pixel off completely.
Thats why their contrast ratio is infinity.

What we will have in the future in mini/micro leds which give slightly worse blacks than OLEDs but arent prone to burn in or durability issues like OLEDs have.

ankushv

Journeyman
Oled is the better option to lcd always . Oled very expensive to replace once broken , ask me how I know . I have a Samsung s9 . It has a super amoled quad hd screen . No physical damage to screen at all but suffering from screen yellowing effect now and Samsung wants 11k to replace screen all inclusive .

Sent from my 2109119DI using Tapatalk

Nerevarine

Incarnate
I had Oneplus 3 for 5.8 years and didn't have any burn-in problem on it.
For mobile phones, burn ins aren't really a problem, but even if they are, it's not noticeable much. My op7pro has burn in for top right notification icons.

But for tv panels it would be much more noticeable especially those channel logos, news tickers that remain static all the time.

I think for tv, better to invest in mini led.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Oled is the better option to lcd always . Oled very expensive to replace once broken , ask me how I know . I have a Samsung s9 . It has a super amoled quad hd screen . No physical damage to screen at all but suffering from screen yellowing effect now and Samsung wants 11k to replace screen all inclusive .

It depends, some phones it can be as high as 25k but some others it can be quite low compared to the value of the phone.

For a flagship like S9, 11k is not too much for genuine part. Check how much iPhone X or 11 pro display costs to put stuff in perspective, heard it is $250-300 (Indian prices might be 20k).

OP
sling-shot

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
11 K for a flagship genuine display feels normal. But as we replace the display after the phone has depreciated, it feels more.

EDIT: Removed signature

Last edited:
11 K for a flagship genuine display feels normal. But as we replace the display after the phone has depreciated, it feels more.

Sent from my moto g82 5G using Tapatalk
Definitely. I personally feel 50k+ phones are mostly not worth it, partly because of SoC. Displays are almost as good as they can get these days with 120Hz 10bit AMOLED, VRR on flagship phones just help a bit with battery life.

Top Bottom