Office PC

nac

Aspiring Novelist
My cousin needs a new PC for his office. The one he has now is giving trouble every now and then. And it's more than a decade old with CRT monitor. When asked about budget, he said that's not an issue. Just should be good enough for the job.

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.' Vague answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work.)
Ans: Generic office work. MS office suite, browser, Tally, Account/GST/Tax related softwares

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then please mention.
Ans: There is no clear answer for this. As Pentium and i3 are in the range of 30 - 45k, let's say that's the budget. Don't want to suggest higher budget one and try to justify why I am suggesting them when even a Pentium can do at lesser price. I don't know where to stop. i3 10th or i3 12th or Ryzen 5600G

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: NO

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: WIN 10

5. How much hard drive / solid-state drive space is needed?
Ans: 250 - 500GB

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention the screen size and resolution you prefer. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, then do mention the screen size and resolution of the monitor you have.
Ans: Yes, 22"

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy? i.e. which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: NA

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: He said within a week, but I doubt we can decide a build and buy and assemble everything within that period. Let's say very soon.

9. Have you ever built a desktop before? Or, will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: We have assembled before and we will assemble ourselves this time as well.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: I personally prefer online, as offline more likely we would get higher priced items and we would have to pick the ones available instead of what we decided. If he is in a hurry, probably we may end up buying everything offline.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans:
Just did the math, how much things would cost. Went with H510/610/A520 board. I don't know if A520 can handle 5600G.
Pentium G6405 would do, but I feel it's not VFM. G7400 is not widely available, so may not settle for that. i3 12th gen crossed 40k mark which feels like too much.
i3 10th costs under that round number of 40k, but again for just 3k more the performance gain with i3 12th is huge. But I don't know if the difference is noticeable for their work or if they would even appreciate the extra horse power.
Anyway I would give him the pitch about what I picked and why I picked and the choices tomorrow or day after tomorrow. Any advice/suggestion from you guys would be appreciated. About choice of components, or about which CPU he should settle for, all are welcome.

Yet to check the available brands and models. This is just a rough pricing.
Other than CPU and Motherboard
8GB DDR4
250GB SSD
450w Bronze rated
mATX compatible case
Logitech KB/Mouse combo
22" IPS

*i.imgur.com/xKCpWJn.png

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
These are parts I have decided for now.

G6405 / G7400 / i3 10105 / i3 12100 / 5600G
Asus Prime H610M-E D4 / Asus Prime H510M-E / Gigabyte A520M S2H
Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR4 3200MHz
WD Blue SN570 250GB M.2 NVMe
Deepcool PK450D 450w 80+ Bronze / Adata XPG Pylon 450w 80+ Bronze
Deepcool Matrexx 30 / Ant Esports Elite 1000 TG
Logitech MK200 Combo
BenQ GW2480L

I don't feel like going for entry level board, but the B series boards costs a lot.
Any suggestion between the two PSU or should I pick something else.

DestGod

Journeyman
Avoid the pentium builds. Ideally, there would be no difference in everyday tasks with the other 3 builds chosen, but I would suggest the 5600G build for it's extra cores.

Sadly, there are no good PSUs under the 4k range, so the ones you picked or the corsair CV450 is good enough.

For the SSD, go with Crucial P2 500GB. It hovers around 3.4k on Amazon. Same with memory, G Skill Ripjaws 8GB 3600Mhz costs about 2.4k.

For the motherboard, the only advantage with A520 is 5000 series support out of the box. I agree with you on the fact that a low end board would suffice for your build. Consider the Asus Prime B450 A II, it's got 4 DIMM slots and a bios flashback button (this feature by itself is a huge factor for AMD builds, IMO).

For the cabinet, don't go with the Matrexx 30, you'll have a nightmare of a time trying to build in it.

And for the monitor,
*www.amazon.in/Acer-HA220Q-21-5-inc...or&qid=1663744956&sprefix=ips+,aps,940&sr=8-5

Also, why not consider a laptop? Quad core ones cost under 45k these days.

Last edited:
Reactions: nac
OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Ant esports elite 1000TG, much smaller than expected and it's very light. In fact, Benq GW2480L weighed more than the case.

I am not sure about the quality of the case, but I feel it's not a very good one.

It comes with motherboard speaker, I like it. In fact, I am pleasantly surprised. Didn't see any one supplying in the last couple of builds I built in the last 2-3yrs. Neither the board makers nor the case makers provided one before.

Despite the size, it has good enough room for cable management on the right hand side of case.

Has enough room to run the CPU 12v cable @ the top from behind the board (unlike Corsair Spec 01 in which we have to get it from the bottom of the case and cable runs open inside the cabinet).

i3 12100
Asus Prime H610M-E D4
Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR4 3200MHz
WD Blue SN570 250GB M.2 NVMe
Adata XPG Pylon 450w 80+ Bronze
Ant Esports Elite 1000 TG
Logitech MK200 Combo
BenQ GW2480L

Cost him about 41k. Could've saved about 1k if we bought the monitor in the offer. Anyway, he was in a hurry not a lot could be done in that short span. I guess this is the first time a PC purchase happened in less than 24hours, I mean when I am involved.

Intel changed the fan, but kept the locking mechanism same. I would prefer to have screw type like in Ryzen APU.

DestGod

Journeyman
Ant esports elite 1000TG, much smaller than expected and it's very light. In fact, Benq GW2480L weighed more than the case.
How's the airflow? I was looking for a cheap case for my next build and was eyeing it for a while. Does the front panel have a mesh or is it just solid? Also, how's the build quality of the case, any wobbling?

Intel changed the fan, but kept the locking mechanism same. I would prefer to have screw type like in Ryzen APU.
That isn't much of a problem, installation of intel coolers are much easier than AMD ones IMO. Removing it could be a pain tho.

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
How's the airflow? I was looking for a cheap case for my next build and was eyeing it for a while. Does the front panel have a mesh or is it just solid? Also, how's the build quality of the case, any wobbling?

That isn't much of a problem, installation of intel coolers are much easier than AMD ones IMO. Removing it could be a pain tho.
No, it doesn't have mesh front. It's just a design. There is a grill like thing on both the sides of the front panel about an inch or so, that's about it for front intake. No wobbling, in fact I like those legs/bush. Just one exhaust is pre installed. For an office use, the case is suble enough. Fan isn't noisy.
They are using a Pentium without a case fan in a generic case. And it's not heating up. For office use, this case would be more than enough.

Quality wise I wouldn't put in line with branded cases. Ant esports is more like some where between generic cabinet and branded ones. Sub 2k would be better? I don't know.

Top Bottom