New PSU for my system

quicky008

Technomancer
I have a s12ii psu that was bought
in early 2017.Although it appears to be ok, should i replace it with a better psu, just to be on the safer side?

Are these psus unreliable in general ?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
For an older system(like 3rd/4th gen intel) it should be fine.Only with newer systems(like 6th/7th gen or above) one should go for at least latest corsair CXx5x series & above that Antec Earthwatts gold pro series(latest version with 7 years warranty logo on box).

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
I have a s12ii psu that was bought
in early 2017.Although it appears to be ok, should i replace it with a better psu, just to be on the safer side?

Are these psus unreliable in general ?

Nah you use it till it dies. That PSU has the necessary protections to not damage your other components. It will just shut itself off if the voltages go out of spec. If it was iBall, Zebronics, Odyssey,etc then you would have to replace it ASAP.

quicky008

Technomancer
In fact its installed on a system with a haswell i5 cpu.What makes it unsuitable for use on newer systems even though it supposedly works fine on 4th gen or older systems?

Is it because these psus don't support certain modern features like C6/C7 sleep states that were introduced with haswell,due to the fact that they are based on an older design?

I read somewhere that s12ii lacks certain protection features like UCP-could it pose any potential risks in the long run?

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
^ The new CPUs might takes less power but there will always be some load by other components like the mobo itself. If it was causing issues we would hear about it in tech news.

OP
R

rapusa

Journeyman
Where did you get it from? Which wattage? You sure it's the new model right? Pics would be good.
Purchased 650w from primeabgb and checked warranty of 7 year before order from their sales team in advance :emoji_sunglasses:

I don't know how to upload images here ... somehow managed to attach one cropped file:
psu_650w.png

Attachments

• psu_650w.png
    psu_650w.png
    799.3 KB · Views: 280

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
Yeah it's the new one. Seems like the 550W model only is the old one and it's not surprising since it's priced much lower.

Top Bottom