need more ram

Xamanus

Journeyman
I got a 16x1 3000mz, i wanna add more 8gb ram. do i have to buy only 16gb ram or can add 8b to. Also does the mz have to be 3000 or its okay if if less?

I got a 16x1 3000mz, i wanna add more 8gb ram. do i have to buy only 16gb ram or can add 8b to. Also does the mz have to be 3000 or its okay if if less?
It has to be 3000MHz otherwise it will downclock to match the lower freq one, so just get a matching one. Pairing 8GB & 16GB is fine.

Make sure your rig supports high freq RAM. I think Ryzen CPUs support 3000MHz out of the box & Intel supports 2666MHz. You can make your motherboard support higher freq via XMP & some other stuff, not exactly sure how to do it, but it's possible.

OP
X

Xamanus

Journeyman
It has to be 3000MHz otherwise it will downclock to match the lower freq one, so just get a matching one. Pairing 8GB & 16GB is fine.

Make sure your rig supports high freq RAM. I think Ryzen CPUs support 3000MHz out of the box & Intel supports 2666MHz. You can make your motherboard support higher freq via XMP & some other stuff, not exactly sure how to do it, but it's possible.
i got 1700x and b350 asus. how to check?

i got 1700x and b350 asus. how to check?
Officially CPU supports upto 2666MHz:
*www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-7-1700x

But I think if the motherboard officially supports 3000MHz, it will work. Apparently, BIOS updates enabled support for higher freq. 3000MHz might work as it is, just install the latest BIOS & check via Task Manager (Performance tab > Memory, don't run anything lower than Win 10).

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Anything above "officially supported processor ram speed" is overclocking & thus comes with no guarantees.If a mobo says it supports up to 3000MHz ram then it simply means that mobo supports overclocking ram up to 3000Mhz "provided ram can handle it" & this is where difference between cheap ram & enthusiast ram becomes clear.Though with latest bios updates even the cheapest 3000MHz ram should be overclock-able to 3000MHz by any decent ryzen mobo.

Top Bottom