Need help with an old Nook HD+

BhargavJ

In the zone
I have an old Nook HD+ which I bought in 2012/2013. It worked fine for the first five years or so, but then the battery degraded, and in 2019-2020, it reached a point where it would work only if it was connected to the charger - when connected to the charger, it would boot and work fine, but wouldn't boot at all without the charger, and if the charger was removed suddenly, it would immediately switch off. Then finally, I didn't charge it for about a week or so, and it stopped booting at all.

I went around the local shops but none could help; most are not ready to touch it at all. There's a replacement battery on Amazon but not the Indian Amazon, and it would cost too much, just for starting an old tablet. I've already bought a new tablet last year. I'd like to start the Nook, for old times sake if nothing else.

The voltage specs written on the battery are similar to what we find in mobile phone batteries.

This is the battery:
*i.imgur.com/Y6PkZsn.jpeg

This is the cable that connects the battery to the tablet:
*i.imgur.com/XfOx1Tc.jpeg

When I started opening it, I had thought that the cable would be connected to the battery using some kind of connector or something, but when I removed all the tape, I found that it went right into the battery and I got my hands dirty with some white powdery stuff.

I've tried to connect the cable to an old phone battery but the tablet didn't start; maybe I had got the connections wrong? This is the phone battery:

Front:
*i.imgur.com/KEFHt4Y.jpg

Top:
*i.imgur.com/vwI7vT2.jpg

Both the batteries are 3.7 V, but the Nook one is 22.2 Wh while the Karbonn one is 7.4 Wh.

Anyone here with knowledge of such matters, who can give some advice on whether this method will work or not, or suggest some other method?

Last edited:
Top Bottom