Need advise on buying new laptop - May-2020

suhasingale

Journeyman
1) What is your budget? (INR or USD)

60-100K INR

2) What size & weight consideration (if any) would you prefer?
  • Screen Size - 15 or 15.6 inches
  • Weight under 1.3 kg. Below 1 KG even better

3) What are the primary tasks you will be performing with this notebook?

- Browsing, Youtube, office work and personal photo editing (nothing professional

5) Any typical configuration in your mind you're eying for ?

i5 10th gen with 8GB, NVMe SSD, IPS Display and Wifi 6. Upgradable RAM

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
a. Like: Asus, LG, Acer, Apple, Dell
b. Dislike: HP

6) Anything else you would like to say?
  • Screen resolution - Full HD. Pixel density around 227 ppi would be sweet
  • Battery back up - 10 plus hrs is great, USB-C charging port
  • Purchase place - Online or Grant Road in Mumbai

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
You won't get a laptop with 15" screen & less than 1.6kg weight, either reduce screen size or compromise on weight.

*www.amazon.in/Asus-Laptop-X512DA-EJ503T-R5-3500U-Peacock/dp/B07W64Y19V/

*www.amazon.in/ASUS-UX481FL-BM5811T...1&keywords=asus+zenbook&qid=1589128841&sr=8-5

*www.amazon.in/ZenBook-UX433FA-A611...1&keywords=asus+zenbook&qid=1589128841&sr=8-2

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
You won't get a laptop with 15" screen & less than 1.6kg weight, either reduce screen size or compromise on weight.
Actually he can and in his budget. He just would need to make a trip to Malaysia (link) :wink:.

IMO, Wifi 6 is still at least 1 year away from mainstream adoption. I don't think LG has launched the gram in India and please don't waste money on Apple laptops. They have crap keyboards and even worse thermal design. Dell laptops have been overpriced for quite some time now.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Actually he can and in his budget. He just would need to make a trip to Malaysia (link) :wink:.

IMO, Wifi 6 is still at least 1 year away from mainstream adoption. I don't think LG has launched the gram in India and please don't waste money on Apple laptops. They have crap keyboards and even worse thermal design. Dell laptops have been overpriced for quite some time now.
Didn't know this option, I always thought of illegear as pure gaming laptops brand.:)

Btw your post reminded me about LG Gram, it is available here but not sure about whether these are the latest models.
*www.amazon.in/LG-14Z990-14-0-inch-...rds=lg+gram&qid=1589131831&s=computers&sr=1-1

@suhasingale read below review, this laptop is your best bet for getting 10 hr battery backup.
*www.amazon.in/gp/customer-reviews/R2A77DTNUBWBJN/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B07VPK4LM6

OP
S

suhasingale

Journeyman

Yes I saw LG Gram 2020 on Amazon US website. I think that laptop perfectly suits my needs. Their 15.6 inch model is little less than 1.2 kg and also has the latest 10th gen processor with Iris graphics. Display is Full HD IPS and the color accuracy is good too. Other option I found was Acer Swift 5 SF515-51T model which is similar to LG gram around 1KG for 15 inch but has soldered RAM. LG has 2 M2 SSD slots plus 2 RAM slots for future upgradibility. Only wifi card is onboard but hey thats wifi 6. Can someone who knows people in LG help me find out when they will refresh gram series in India?

OP
S

suhasingale

Journeyman
Didn't know this option, I always thought of illegear as pure gaming laptops brand.:)

Btw your post reminded me about LG Gram, it is available here but not sure about whether these are the latest models.
*www.amazon.in/LG-14Z990-14-0-inch-...rds=lg+gram&qid=1589131831&s=computers&sr=1-1

@suhasingale read below review, this laptop is your best bet for getting 10 hr battery backup.
*www.amazon.in/gp/customer-reviews/R2A77DTNUBWBJN/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B07VPK4LM6
Hey whitestar, the link you gave is for 2019 laptop which has slower M2 SATA SSD. I would wait for the 2020 model because it also has bigger battery and all other areas sorted with latest tech.

OP
S

suhasingale

Journeyman

Also, why I need wifi 6 and all the latest tech because I plan to use this laptop for another 10 years. My previous laptop was first gen i3 processor Asus laptop which I bought for around 35k in SG in 2009. It is still running perfectly fine and my Dad still using it for basic stuff like browsing and word excel etc.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Also, why I need wifi 6 and all the latest tech because I plan to use this laptop for another 10 years. My previous laptop was first gen i3 processor Asus laptop which I bought for around 35k in SG in 2009. It is still running perfectly fine and my Dad still using it for basic stuff like browsing and word excel etc.
They don't make laptops like that anymore. You can confirm it yourself by asking about the lifetime of laptops bought in last 3-4 years & those bought before 2010. Nowadays it is a extremely unlikely for a laptop to last more than 4-5 years without needing some repair & that is best case scenario.

OP
S

suhasingale

Journeyman
They don't make laptops like that anymore. You can confirm it yourself by asking about the lifetime of laptops bought in last 3-4 years & those bought before 2010. Nowadays it is a extremely unlikely for a laptop to last more than 4-5 years without needing some repair & that is best case scenario.
I believe ASUS still makes quality products. During the Intel P4 era I used a lot of ASUS and GIGABYTE motherboards and ASUS never failed even once back then. It also depends on how you handle the laptop. Especially using it on the bed blocking its vent causes serious damages to the internals over the time. Using at full brightness causes the lamps to burn faster or display wear out. Cleaning the vents periodically all of this helps improve the battery life. I use all my devices with utmost care so I am pretty confident any device I buy can last very long except it has some hardware issues on its own.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
I believe ASUS still makes quality products. During the Intel P4 era I used a lot of ASUS and GIGABYTE motherboards and ASUS never failed even once back then. It also depends on how you handle the laptop. Especially using it on the bed blocking its vent causes serious damages to the internals over the time. Using at full brightness causes the lamps to burn faster or display wear out. Cleaning the vents periodically all of this helps improve the battery life. I use all my devices with utmost care so I am pretty confident any device I buy can last very long except it has some hardware issues on its own.
That is actually going to be the reason nowadays, a laptop with good care taken will simply stop after 4-5 years of running well. I am not saying no laptop will last 8-9 years when taken good care of but don't assume it as the default & make purchase assuming lifetime of laptop as 4-5 years. Also 4-5 years is a long time in pc tech & who knows the core i5 10th gen you are buying now may struggle with some 8k video file with h266 codec & all bells & whistle enabled in video player. This is also why I prefer Asus because you can buy 2 years extended warranty(so total warranty becomes1+2=3 years) for as low as Rs.99.
*asuspromo.in/terms

OP
S

suhasingale

Journeyman
That is actually going to be the reason nowadays, a laptop with good care taken will simply stop after 4-5 years of running well. I am not saying no laptop will last 8-9 years when taken good care of but don't assume it as the default & make purchase assuming lifetime of laptop as 4-5 years. Also 4-5 years is a long time in pc tech & who knows the core i5 10th gen you are buying now may struggle with some 8k video file with h266 codec & all bells & whistle enabled in video player. This is also why I prefer Asus because you can buy 2 years extended warranty(so total warranty becomes1+2=3 years) for as low as Rs.99.
*asuspromo.in/terms
Wow! additional 2 year warranty for just Rs.99 is really awesome. This shows how confident company is on their products!

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wow! additional 2 year warranty for just Rs.99 is really awesome. This shows how confident company is on their products!
lenovo,dell & acer also give 1-2 years extended warranty schemes but they are much more costlier(with dell you may end up spending 4-5k but then dell does give no questions asked replacement even multiple times) so yes asus is currently the cheapest option for extended warranty.:)

Top Bottom