Mplayer questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
I downloaded the windows version of the mplayer "Source and Binaries". I d/led from here:
*www.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/design7/dload.html

Now after I unrared there was no installation (the set up stuffs and all that). When I looked into the folder, there was exe file in it. Clicking on the same did not open up anything. The cmd kinda thing open but it closed on it's own after some time.

Now know do I make it work? Do I need to d/l the Codecs, Fonts & Skins also?

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
That mplayer.exe you see is console mode movie player, meaning you can play movies provided that you run it from cmd.exe Or maybe associate it with appropriate file extension.

Plus its GUI uses GTK 1.2 for its menus. You may need to install GTK's windows ports also before getting GUI. however i havent tried this.

For a complete MPlayer installation you will need sources, a set of codecs, a set of fonts for the onscreen display (OSD) and a skin if you want a graphical user interface.
All of these are available from that same page.

my say: mplayer isnt meant for windows. Let it run on linux :) :)

OP
drgrudge

drgrudge

Ohh.. god.. And abt the Codecs, Fonts & Skins stuffs, I saw them on that page.. but I just wanted to know if the files will play with the stuffs on.

Ok.. Plz tell me how to associate it with appropriate file extension. With other players (wht I had used b4) asks the same while I install or we can change later, but how to do this with mplayer?

I will give it a shot, if I cant make it work or it dont work the way I want it or some thing I will give up.

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
Right now you'll find the codecs directory empty. You need to fill it up with codecs first. However i think it should be able to play common/raw formats (like wav) without additional codecs. I need to look for a windows machine to try this :) lol..

As for associating extension, you can do so by Shift - RightClick on a wav file.

OP
drgrudge

drgrudge

Yeah GNU, got it playing some gif's.. plays good and fine.
*img120.imageshack.us/img120/9175/untitled7he.th.gif

The interface is like cmd.exe of windows.
See this (taken from the website):
For a complete MPlayer installation you will need sources, a set of codecs, a set of fonts for the onscreen display (OSD) and a skin if you want a graphical user interface.
So can I have interface when I d/l the skins. I will d/l and post after I am done with.

By the way, the codecs are 9mb+ file , anyways I will d/l and see what I can do abt that.

Edit:
Yeah, I have d/led all the stuffs. I can't wait to try them ... the codecs got some kinds of .dll files.
Plz tell me wht to do now. Shall I copy all that to the codec folder (which was empty b4). Also plz tell how to use the skin and the font.
Thanks GNU bhai...

OP
drgrudge

drgrudge

Done that GNU. The files play well! All files, .avi's, .mov's, .ram/.rm/.rmvb, .wmv, .mp3 , .midi ,.wav play fine.

But plz tell how to use the Graphical interface stuffs, I d/led all the stuffs, the skins and the fonts (one font from the list of 4) also.

Plz tell me how to play DVD's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom