Mental health to be covered under health insurance from 31st October 2022 in India

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
On 16th August 2022, IRDAI circulated a compliance notice for all insurance companies where it directed the insurers to cover mental illness along with all other illnesses. According to the circular, the insurers need to comply with the provisions of Mental Health Care Act, 2017 before 31st October 2022.

Section 21 (4) of Mental Health Care Act, 2017 protects, promotes and fulfils the rights of persons with mental illness. The Insurance Regulator through their circular states that every insurer should treat mental illness treatment similar to treatment for any physical illnesses. October being a Mental Health awareness month, the Union Government took a major step by launching this initiative.

The Insurance Regulator has directed Insurers to cover mental illness in their plans as Mental Health Illness is an overlooked thing, specially in India. Going forward, all health insurance companies will cover mental illness along with other benefits as per the plan.This means that cost of medicines, diagnostic tests, treatment cost of mental illnesses will be covered under the Health Insurance Plan.

Sources:
*www.myinsuranceclub.com/insurance-news/mental-health-coverage

Hopefully this drives mental health awareness.

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Good point. I'll probably call my insurance provider later and ask what they actually cover.

I think in general any psychiatrist visit and treatment should be covered.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Very good news, but I doubt most insurance companies will actually cover you. They'll somehow find a way to weasel out for sure.

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I hope anxiety and depression is covered. But these are also the most common reason that people go for psychiatric help for so don't know if it will actually be covered.

Top Bottom