Linus 'Thinking' about Retiring from Linus Tech Tips

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Well, coming up with new videos to make is pretty tiring work. I hope he takes a hiatus instead of retiring.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
No matter what others say about him(it is a fact that his videos are not as technically accurate as some purists would prefer) the reality is that he did get 10 million subscribers on youtube & not without reason. A good doctor is not just one who can write the perfect prescription but someone who can inspire hope & confidence in patient else a good robot will be able to replace a doctor perfectly. Linus's way of presenting & explaining things in interesting enough way for typical people(even if taking a few liberties) is what sets him apart from other even better knowledgeable similar youtubers. Hopefully he will continue to make some videos if not as many as currently made for the benefit of typical peope with non-technical background about pc tech.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
^^ I got worried the way you started the post. But you reached to right conclusion that his videos are not known to be "technically superior", but "interesting to watch".
He have inspired many to pursue IT as their career. He have inspired many to build their own PC, and now he probably can (or atleast have the capability to) influence product manufacturers to certain extent, all while maintaining the same level of enthusiasm he initially had a decade ago.

This video of him talking about "environmental issues", "death", and saying that his company would run fine even if he is hit by a bus, probably signifies that he have a serious case of mental fatigue and burnout. But it probably also comes out as genuine concerns over the fact that his videos seems to promote "mindless" consumerism, which was not his intention.

We as a tech consumer always want flashy gadgets, latest mobile and other dozen things that make our lives easier/geekier/to show-off. But we don't always get out there and get ourselves whatever we want, mostly because we don't have the budget to go after it, but somewhere at the back of our minds we are also aware how technology is taking it's toll on the environment.

He talked about how, even if his videos portrays otherwise, he himself might not go after all of those stuff to buy for himself. He probably has so much tech, that he probably blames himself atleast partly for the things going wrong on this planet (example, Australia bush fire).

Sharing Linus's age and interest, I think I relate to him at a deeper level. And that's why I think I am perfectly ok for him to take some time off, or even remain only in the background and do guest appearances.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
I understand. I never understood this excessive consumerism though because I buy only things which I need & use them for as long as they fulfill that need. I even ran the same win 7 install from mid 2011 till now because I never feel the need to upgrade it.My old phone was also used for 4 years before moving on & only because it was taking 10min+ to install latest paytm app update & was unable to run more than 2 apps in background if one of them is a big app like paytm,phonepe etc.

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
Dude needs to see a doctor. Like yesterday. He's showing signs of depression, and obviously he appears stressed from his work life balance.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
No. Who was him?

tl,dw: Guy creates a campaign to raise awareness about an African warlord who uses child soldiers in hopes that American government steps in and deposes him in a military campaign. The pressure of the campaign gets to him and one day he has a mental breakdown causing him to walk on the streets naked.

I suggest you watch it though.

Engineer.AI

Broken In
No. I was busy preparing in an event world ended in 2012.
What happened!!!
Haha. This guy, Kony blew up the internet for basically being a Warlord. There was much talk about it, especially concerning the guy/reporter who blew up the news in the first place (he was caught in a scandal of sorts). The whole thing was a big mess, and then Kony apparently died the next year. You should look it up on yotube, its CRAAZY!

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Well the video didn't mention anything about Kony being dead. It did mention that he had type 2 debilities.
But, well, a fascinating story. Of which I had no idea of!
Goes to show how effective I am in living under a rock!

Engineer.AI

Broken In
Well the video didn't mention anything about Kony being dead. It did mention that he had type 2 debilities.
But, well, a fascinating story. Of which I had no idea of!
Goes to show how effective I am in living under a rock!

Hahaha its one of those INTERNET things that blew up, then was readily forgotten - just like Harambe! Its an interesting piece of trivia nevertheless.

~Engineer.AI

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Off topic, Pro tip: You can set your signature so that you don't need to write down your signature everytime:
Here: *geek.digit.in/community/account/signature

Top Bottom