LG G2 - Short Review

beingGamer

In the zone
Hi all, as [MENTION=145143]SaiyanGoku[/MENTION] asked to give a short review, here it is. (got a little lengthy IMO)
I am not a professional reviewer but will try to give as per my knowledge.
Apology in advance if I mentioned an android feature as LG G2 feature (since I have switched to it recently)

When I thought to switch to Android, first phone in my opinion was Nexus 5. I liked its looks & specs as well, but the battery was the reason I had to look for an option. Found LG G2 quite similar or I would say even better than N5-
Pros over N5-
+ more battery (3000 vs 2300)
+ more MP camera (13MP vs 8MP)
+ Radio (vs no radio)
+ IR balster (Quick remote app makes phone as a universal remote)
+ slimmer than N5 & slightly big display without noticeable difference in size.

Cons over N5-
- No quick updates
- Gorilla glass (v2 vs v3)
- Costly than N5

Some of the people here said that 34k is a high price for LG G2, I checked the online prices and there was too much fluctuation in them. some of the sites were showing 29k some of them showing 38k, hence I went for a local known shop.
Few said its an old phone but its released just last year.

Phone & accessories-
*s26.postimage.org/vl0o8ygph/2014_11_01_436.jpg

Design:
Front- I would give a 9/10. due to its almost bezel less(left & right side) front.
Back- I think the button location at the back is perfect, can be accessed with left & right hand easily. Though rarely its hard to find where exactly is the power button so as to identify where the volume up & down key is. The buttons are easy to press, dont need much pressure as the Phones having buttons on sides which almost all phones have.
Even when playing games it was not that annoying to do volume up/down.
Sides- As everyone know, there is nothing on the sides except the sim tray on left which is opened using a sim ejector tool provided inside the box & the bottom which has the headphones jack & micro USB socket.
Bottom- I find the placement of headphone jack is better at bottom

Overall size- not too big for the hands, just a milimeter or so bigger than N5.
*s26.postimage.org/ntjyaeck5/2014_11_01_438.jpg

Body is plastic but it feels solid in hand.

I gave -1 because sometimes its difficult to press back buttons due to its almost bezel less display, you have to hold the phone on its sides which are too slim.

Features
Quick Remote- This app has massive list of Manufacturers.
You can add different rooms/locations & group the devices by rooms.
When adding a remote you get this screen, select the type of device & then manufacturer.

Then the second screen that comes is the calibration screen which only has power button, you have to point the IR blaster towards the device & press it.
If the device recognizes the input, you have to press Yes, otherwise No & you get another chance to press it again and repeat the process. For different devices different buttons are asked to calibrate.
When I added remote for Hathway settop box, it asked for - power button,vol up & down, channel up & down.
But when setting up LG Air conditioner, it only asked to calibrate power button and rest of the buttons worked perfectly.

*i.imgur.com/Kf0efiJl.png
*i.imgur.com/SOnTU5Gs.png *i.imgur.com/iSsZtnys.png *i.imgur.com/O69ETdVs.png *i.imgur.com/Yb17861s.png *i.imgur.com/OYhBur6s.png *i.imgur.com/giWWIbTs.png *i.imgur.com/5ZIRS9Ns.png *i.imgur.com/iKFa80ul.png *i.imgur.com/D4D8S6gl.png

Quick memo- This app is handy for taking screen shots & also writing on them or on blank page. You can save it in either Gallery or notes. All the screen shots added here are taken from it.
Just pull down the status bar and press quick memo, it takes the screenshot of current screen and you can write on it or clear it.
The only thing it lacks it ability to take screenshot of the pull down menu.
*i.imgur.com/MvfjNLkl.png

qSlide apps- These apps have the ability to open in a small window over the screen. You can resize them or make them full screen or make them transparent by the top slider.
*i.imgur.com/ufQuYtwl.png
*i.imgur.com/Cy8Dpw4l.png

Guest mode- This one is quite useful if you want to lend your phone to someone else & dont want them to access your personal apps. You can set a different pattern to enter guest mode from the normal profile.
cons- It is accessed by pattern lock only.
*i.imgur.com/qm3bGLtl.png

Knock-on- I think Android L has this feature now. Due to the fact that G2's buttons are placed on its back, this feature is best to access & lock the phone with only 1 finger(if its resting on a surface of curse)

back buttons quick access-
1. hold vol down for camera when phone is locked
2. hole vol up for quick memo

Slide aside- haven't used much. you can save max 3 apps in their current state when you slide from right to left with 3 fingers. to bring back slide opposite with 3 fingers.

Battery
The main reason to consider LG G2 apart from guest mode was the massive battery.
Look at the below usage. 26 hours and had 11 hours more left (approximately)
*i.imgur.com/pUGFRWml.png
*i.imgur.com/eYFbZnOl.png
*i.imgur.com/VPioNddl.png
*i.imgur.com/QvWWpPTl.png
*i.imgur.com/VswWiyDl.png

Camera - Will update later

Video playback - playback in small window with variable opacity
*i.imgur.com/jpuC5btl.png
*i.imgur.com/sbJuEIHl.png

Customizations-
+ ability to setup LED color for different notifications & apps
+ customize front touch button locations & to add pull down, quick memo button in them. (cant have both, pull down & quick memo at the same time. max 4 buttons)
+ there are 2 in-build themes
+ many lock screens
+ ability to resize icons on homescreens & even change its icon.
+ max 7 home screens can be added
+ ability to add custom vibration patterns
+ multi language input
+ input keyboards (querty, landscapre & split qwerty)
*i.imgur.com/wmSoXBgl.png
*i.imgur.com/Xo6Qwtel.png
*i.imgur.com/DtL3pT2l.png
*i.imgur.com/De6RtDjl.png
*i.imgur.com/T5fF5Fkl.png
*i.imgur.com/37Bf9LTl.png
*i.imgur.com/4YxzNukl.png
*i.imgur.com/gaBRar8l.png

*i.imgur.com/9bjTGmUl.png
*i.imgur.com/a2rehPIl.png

Accessories-
1. USB charger- the quality of charger & the USB wire is good.
2. Headphones- are not around the neck, & have only volume up/down & answer buttons (not next & previous)
*s26.postimage.org/mkw2orklx/2014_11_01_440.jpg
3. Sim ejector tool
*s26.postimage.org/cc3lixwk5/2014_11_01_443.jpg
3. 2 extra ear buds for headphones
4. warranty & manual

Conclusion-
By using this phone, I can surely say that LG G2 is a majorly underrated phone. This should be considered for great features as described above.
The UI is not that confusing as many have complained.
*Let me know if I missed out something or you want me to include something more in this.

Last edited:
Top Bottom