internet connection using LINUX

Status
Not open for further replies.

samleo109

Broken In
hi i am having a problem to connect to the internet using LINUX i have linux 9th ver and i also have internal as well as external Data Fax modems please help me
:)

ujjwal

Padawan
Your external modem is most certain to work under linux, what problem are you having exactly? The modem howto is a very vast resource, if you are having a particular problem, do post the details here.

And also, please post linux queries in the open source section :)

OP
S

samleo109

Broken In
I had recently installed linux 9ver and I don't know how to get connected to the internet like how we do in windows
please help me

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
OK, already have been answered a hell of times, still repeating it.

There is no linux 9th version (The latest kernel is 2.6.13), probably you may be using RedHat Linux 9.

There are two ways, first way is using kppp dialer. You can select kppp dialer by Pointing to RH Menu>Internet>Kppp dialer, or simply typing kppp in terminal or run dialog.

The second way is using the Internet connection Wizard under System tools, or typing internet-druid in terminal or run dialog.

In both case ur external modem will be work fine for sure, but i'm afraid ur internal modm won't. If you find any difficulty, post it here, and please be specific with your problem.

OP
S

samleo109

Broken In
The second way is using the Internet connection Wizard under System tools, or typing internet-druid in terminal or run dialog.

only this way it worked for me. thank you very much for helping me in this task.
But i have noticed one thing in my college.
If I type win command in lynux terminal window then windows 2000
opens in the new window.
But if I try the same on my PC it says invalid command.
but my PC has 2 partitions 1 works on DOS and the other on LYNUX.
So can u'll please tell me how the above thing can be done
thank you :)

praka123

left this forum longback
:D For ur Winmodem/Internal modem u may go to *www.linmodems.org and check out for some luck getting drivers for ur chipset.

But i have noticed one thing in my college.
If I type win command in lynux terminal window then windows 2000
opens in the new window.
But if I try the same on my PC it says invalid command.
but my PC has 2 partitions 1 works on DOS and the other on LYNUX.
So can u'll please tell me how the above thing can be done
thank you Smile
Perhaps they are using Linux Vmware or Win4Lin Servers :roll:
I don't think u can start Windows OS from Linux if u got a single PC
:wink: for running Win applications u can use wine software in GNU/Linux

champ_rock

champ_rock
Wine is a winodws emulator which kind of acts like windows and lets u install softwares like Microsoft Office, Photoshop, and games also

OP
S

samleo109

Broken In
champ_rock said:
Wine is a winodws emulator which kind of acts like windows and lets u install softwares like Microsoft Office, Photoshop, and games also

i don't know anything about the wine software ,But I have tried it in our college allready.
If i open A terminal window and just type win then windows 2003 server starts in the new panel, with the start up screen and i can do everything just as what i am doing in windows.

But one thing I have noticed is that once the windows are switched on the commands on the terminal window also run side by side.
ce0409@ltsp ce0409]$ win
NOT IMPLEMENTED: RDP5 opcode 6
NOT IMPLEMENTED: CLIPRDR packet type 7
ce0409@ltsp ce0409]$
Is it possible if you use two servers one running on windows and the other on linux?
Very Happy For ur Winmodem/Internal modem u may go to *www.linmodems.org and check out for some luck getting drivers for ur chipset.

what I have to do if i want to use a GPRS enabled mobile to connect to the internet.
Is it possible in LINUX?

I'll appreciate some comments.
Thank you

planetcall

Indian by heart
Terminal Server

I am sure they are having a Win2000 Terminal Server. The window you are referring to is probably the Terminal Client. It allows a person to work on the server from a different(remote) machine as if you are using the server itself. This facility is deployed for many reasons but one of the prime reason is the minimisation of cost. Linux can run on darn cheap boxes but Win2000 requires good configuration. So one powerful server may solve the purpose of having multiple costly machines.
*www.netpond.com/images/smilies/pcfite.gif

praka123

left this forum longback
They may be using rdesktop in conjunction with LinuxTerminalServer P.
*www.rdesktop.org/

rdesktop is an open source client for Windows NT Terminal Server and Windows 2000/2003 Terminal Services, capable of natively speaking Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) in order to present the user's NT desktop. Unlike Citrix ICA, no server extensions are required.

But this option requires a separate W2K/NT terminal server

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom