India's silent epidemic: Impact of toxic used cooking oil diversion into the food stream on public health

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
*health.economictimes.indiatimes.co...nto-the-food-stream-on-public-health/93761162

I have seen McDonald's Using oil looking like used engine oil. The dark color in over used oil is actually the main source of carcinogens entering body. Apparently oil is the most expensive ingredient at McD. So they cheapout by using same batch for over a week.

In the street level the hygeine is even worse. Chole-Bhature, Poori, Like Punjabi snacks are cooked in literal burning oil. The recipe demands the oil to be reach atleast the smoke point as only then that texture arrives. and considering some places uses Vegetable Ghee or Daalda, it is even more unhealthy. The burning oil has a lot of carcinogens.

And then, I noticed about 90% of Indian sweets/snacks are either fried or contains Maida(refined flour) or most of the time, both.

TheSloth

The Slowest One
Man, I really need to stop eating outside food but I can't cook for s*** myself.
Hahaha. Same. I recently stopped eating outside after reading more about the sugar, table salt and deep fried items and the scary things these do to our body. I am sure I have already cut down 10-11 years from my life by eating junk all my life until very recently. Since I started this practice very recently, I still find it very hard to resist sometimes.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Yes it's difficult to stop eating out, especially if you don't live with family and/or are not married. :p
But, I have recently figured out a channel, FitTuber and since then consciously eat outside.

Some things I follow:
1. Completely stopped eating pizza (only eat occasionally in office when it's not my money)
2. Completely stopped eating maggi (unless I am on vacations in mountains)
3. Learned to make poha at home, it's not that difficult, learned on Youtube and perfected by learning rest from wife.
4. Completely stopped drinking soft drinks and replaced it with leamonade, roofaza etc
5. Stopped eating packaged chips and replaced it with namkeens from local bakery
6. Replaced salty peanut butter (like from Sundrop) with pure non salty peanut butter from companies like Pintola and Alpino.
7. Cut down on tea from 2-3 times a day, to one time a day, that too only drink after having some water before, (which lessens the negative effect)

In addition to that, since I have sitting job, I have now also started to home workout for atleast half hour with the help of YT video such as this:
Code:
*www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAqRC7gA4Ok

I hope that is helping me, but even after all of that when I recently went a health checkup (to take term plan), it turned out my ECG wasn't perfect, since I am not taking "walks". -_- Imagine, what would be my health if I didn't work on making it better.

quicky008

Technomancer
Even consuming too much of milk based products is harmful for health.

i have seen some food blogging channels on youtube where the presenter conducts various street food vlogs and consumes prodigious amounts unhealthy and unhygienically prepared food stuffs from street sellers with great relish in a single day! And they conduct such vlogs several times a month at various eateries. I wonder how those people manage to remain healthy despite eating so much! I would have become sick if i had even 20% of what they eat in a single day.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
I wonder how those people manage to remain healthy despite eating so much!
Harmful effects aren't shown in short time, but in long term.
I too heard about having too much milk is bad for health. Fittuber made a video about it. He said mostly Mother Dairy or Amul provides A1 type of milk. However for us Indians, A2 type milk is better, which are produced by desi cows and no foreign. Sadly it's also costly and some believe it unhygienic. Me too haven't been able to shift to A2 milk.

OP
RumbaMon19

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
I have reduced my milk consumption too. Only use it once a day at Max with real or coffee.

Sofit like brands make soya milk, but it is expensive and taste is not similar.

Also, if you guys are unable to have Citrus fruits regularly, you may switch to chewable vitamin C tablets.

Indian Street food scene is going to gutter. Not only is the cheese to excessive, it is also not being cooked before consumption. Even people in Europe won't consume so much cheese that they put in pizzas.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I currently started consuming skimmed milk, not very frequently but sometimes when I have cornflakes or muesli for breakfast. I mostly drink black coffee if I have to.

Top Bottom