incompatibility of usb wifi adapters with usb 3 ports

quicky008

Technomancer
I've had quite a few usb based wifi dongles for a while now,mostly from tp link.However i have observed something strange-whenever i connect some of them (particularly the ones that are somewhat older) to usb 3 ports at the front panel of my pc case ,they don't work properly and i experience frequent disconnections from the internet-also when they do work,connection speeds tend to be slower than normal and pages don't load properly.

However these adapters work fine when connected to usb 2 ports at the rear of the motherboard.Is there any compatibility issue between wifi adapters and usb 3(esp older ones)? Some wifi adapters that i bought recently do work well even when connected to the front panel usb 3 ports of the cabinet-so this is rather baffling.

If you have any explanations for this,please let me know.

Last edited:

patkim

Cyborg Agent
What is the OS, Windows 7/8/10/11, Linux?

Do the dongles come with their own drivers? Are dongles in question 2.4 Ghz or dual band?
What is the motherboard/chipset/CPU?
Is XHCI Handoff Enabled in BIOS?

Use USBTREEVIEW (*www.uwe-sieber.de/usbtreeview_e.html) free standalone app on Windows to check the current drawn by the USB port when dongle is connected to it.

USB 3 port has 9 pins whereas USB 2 works on just 4, so I generally prefer to connect USB 2 device to USB 2 port if possible/available. Even though 3 port is backward compatible (at least on compatible devices that are not power hungry) I have noticed mysterious loose connection issues with USB 3 ports.

Do you have any USB 3 port on back panel? If so, how is the performance when you plug the dongle therein?
Is your motherboard too old from the era of Windows 7/8 days when USB 3 needed separate out of the box drivers from the chipset manufacturer on Windows?

Top Bottom