HP elitebeook 8470p - SD Card not reading

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
Hi everyone

I'm using windows to go 8.1 on an HP elitebeook 8470p. It works great out of the box with only one problem. It does not read my SD cards. It will make the typical card inserted sound on putting in the card but the card will not show up

Have checked the card on another laptop and in my camera. I remember i solved it last time by installing some drivers. But the storage drivers from the HP site don't work

OP
izzikio_rage

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
I'm really sick of this. Have a dual boot with win 7 and win 8. It works perfectly in win 7, won't work in win 8. Must have tried a 100 drivers

Worst part is that i had the drivers backed up just for this. And the backup drive crashed

Yup this is for the inbuilt card reader. Not even sure what company it is from. Jmicro is what the drivers say, but they haven't worked yet

Last edited:

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
I'm really sick of this. Have a dual boot with win 7 and win 8. It works perfectly in win 7, won't work in win 8. Must have tried a 100 drivers

Worst part is that i had the drivers backed up just for this. And the backup drive crashed
Try installing the driver in compatibility mode.

OP
izzikio_rage

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
How do i do that? Waise the drivers are installing perfectly. Just can't get the sd card to work

Is there any way to detect what card reader my system has. Or what drivers the win7 boot is using to make it work

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
How do i do that? Waise the drivers are installing perfectly. Just can't get the sd card to work

Is there any way to detect what card reader my system has
. Or what drivers the win7 boot is using to make it work
1. Right click on the exe file -> properties -> compatibility tab -> run this program in compatibility mode for Windows 7 SP1

2. Open device manager in windows 7, expand all and whichever shows SD/MMC Host Controller would be the correct driver.

OP
izzikio_rage

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
Tried compatability mode, didn't work. Will check out the driver in win 7. It seems that I'm installing an incorrect driver

OP
izzikio_rage

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
[MENTION=145143]SaiyanGoku[/MENTION]: Checked device manager in the Win7 install where the card reader works. This is what I have, not sure how to get these drivers installed in win8

*i.imgur.com/bQUb8mO.jpg

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
For windows 8.1 32 bit
Drivers & Software - HP Support Center.

For windows 8.1 64 bit
Drivers & Software - HP Support Center.

First install the required one normally. Use compatibility mode only if that doesn't works.

Last edited:
OP
izzikio_rage

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
Finally gave up and pulled out the driver files from the Win7 setup. Luckily they were there in the root drive of that installation. Installed with compatibility mode and suddenly the card reader is working.

I hope HP updates the drivers soon or atleast links it to drivers that work

Thank you everyone

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Finally gave up and pulled out the driver files from the Win7 setup. Luckily they were there in the root drive of that installation. Installed with compatibility mode and suddenly the card reader is working.

I hope HP updates the drivers soon or atleast links it to drivers that work

Thank you everyone
Told you compatibility mode should work. :)

$hadow

Geek in making
They will update the drivers soon but do not jump on them right from the release. Just give the drivers some time so that others can find the bugs if any. Or else you would end up rolling back to old drivers.

Top Bottom