How Much Internet Speed Can I get in Mumbai ?

augustya

Journeyman
Hi Guys,

So right now I am at Home using the Hathway Unlimited Broadband Connection which offers me 2MBPS Unlimited Data at 1100/- for 3 Months. I have been using this Plan now since last 10 Years. I am reasonably happy with their Customer Support and Service. But people have been now pointing me out that 2MBPS even though it is unlimited Data is some 20 Years Old Technology and Speed that you are using. Why are you not looking around and you may find definitely with some higher speed transfers, But 2 MBPS is like Way...way too in the Old Days !! I am in Ghatkopar-Mumbai. What options do I have in Mumbai in terms of speed and service provider ? which is the best service provider with reliable Speed ? In Today's time what is the basic Minimum Speed of the Internet people should be looking at. Yes I am a heavy user, Torrent, YouTube, Downloading etc...So I am not comfortable with a Data Cap Plan and at the same time I do not want to go for an expensive plan !!

Any suggestions ?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
First of all,2mbps & 2MBPS(or MB/s) are technically different terms.2mbps is connection speed & 2MB/s is the download speed as shown by programs in windows.Divide connection speed by 8 to get approx download speed.For a 2mbps connection download speed would be ~240-250KB/s while for 2MB/s download speed,connection speed would have to be 16mbps. For a typical user nowadays 8mbps+ connection speed is fine. For 4K videos recommended connection speed is ~25mbps+.

nac

Aspiring Novelist
I am hoping it's 2MB/s. If it's 2mbps 1100/- for 3 months is expensive than BSNL base plan and it's slower than BSNL.

OP
A

augustya

Journeyman
So my question on what choices do I have in terms of which Service Provider do I have and what best speed can I get ? in people asking me again, when I have clearly mentioned it is 2MBPS speed that I have currently !!

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
So my question on what choices do I have in terms of which Service Provider do I have and what best speed can I get ? in people asking me again, when I have clearly mentioned it is 2MBPS speed that I have currently !!
Is it 2MB/s download speed as shown in windows software(like browsers) or is it 2mbps connection speed as advertised by provider? If former than no need to change,if latter then you simply need to upgrade your hathway plan.Hathway site mentions plans with very low FUP but in reality you can get much more by simply asking your local hathway agent(in delhi local hathway person gives 500gb-1000gb extra data every month if you just ask him).

Dude, 2MBps & 2Mbps are different. If you get 2MBps download speed (shown while downloading), its a 16Mbps connection, which is fine for that amount for unlimited data. If its 2Mbps, it is shit, you will get like 256KBps download speed. Just check your speed in fast.com or speedtest.net & post the screenshot if you still feel confused by the difference between MBps & Mbps.

I know that people in Mumbai get like 100Mbps connection for 1000 pm from local providers with like 1TB cap or unlimited.

B = byte
b = bit

OP
A

augustya

Journeyman
Dude, 2MBps & 2Mbps are different. If you get 2MBps download speed (shown while downloading), its a 16Mbps connection, which is fine for that amount for unlimited data. If its 2Mbps, it is shit, you will get like 256KBps download speed. Just check your speed in fast.com or speedtest.net & post the screenshot if you still feel confused by the difference between MBps & Mbps.

I know that people in Mumbai get like 100Mbps connection for 1000 pm from local providers with like 1TB cap or unlimited.

B = byte
b = bit

Ok here it is

Screenshot_20190919-083201.png

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Okay, it is 2mbps not 2MB/s. You should check other plans with Hathway or change ISP. You're paying more for the speed.
Digitians from Mumbai will help you with the options you have. I am sure every major players would be available for you. ACT, Railwire, Hathway, Jio, BSNL, Airtel and lot more...

OP
A

augustya

Journeyman
I have seen many of my friends tell me now, when 30 MBPS is the Minimum people get these days you are in Bullock Cart Age !! Hence was checking here ! So am I really in such a Bad Plan and Speed ? What do you guys think ? Yes I cannot Live Stream Movies from iTunes Store or anything. I have to first download it only then it plays well, YouTube is not a problem at current speed !!

nac

Aspiring Novelist
It's not bad. Just that everyone lowered the price and/or increased speed for the same price.
Not long ago they were offering high speed internet at low cost. It's all because of Jio, if not probably we wouldn't have seen this speed at this price point for another decade.
I don't see your plan in Hathway site, check with them. I don't know if they provide plans other than the ones listed online. And contact other ISP as well.

OP
A

augustya

Journeyman
It's not bad. Just that everyone lowered the price and/or increased speed for the same price.
Not long ago they were offering high speed internet at low cost. It's all because of Jio, if not probably we wouldn't have seen this speed at this price point for another decade.
I don't see your plan in Hathway site, check with them. I don't know if they provide plans other than the ones listed online. And contact other ISP as well.

I am paying 1100/- for 3 Months so per month it comes out to some 350/- Rs

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
That's bad. You should look at a local service provider.

This is my ISP's plans:
Home Broadband Plans, Fiber Broadband Plans - One Broadband

chimera201

Wise Old Owl

Hathway plans in Mumbai (outdated maybe because the prices are higher):
*i.postimg.cc/zfP5SczL/Capture.png

Obviously OP has the "INFINITE 2MBPS UNLIMITED" plan

Last edited:
Reactions: nac

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^Hathway site is practically useless for plans info. In Delhi,hathway local agent offers 500GB-1000GB data pre-FUP every month by simply asking him & many times hathway itself gives such offers to customers.Only by contacting hathway local agent will one get the correct info regarding plans.

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
I don't know why these ISP's don't update their sites. Looking at those plans nobody would even think of subscribing to them :lol: I guess they already have enough customers or gets their customers through pamphlet distribution.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't know why these ISP's don't update their sites. Looking at those plans nobody would even think of subscribing to them :lol: I guess they already have enough customers or gets their customers through pamphlet distribution.
Exactly this! In Delhi/NCR at least,majority decide their net connection by pamphlet+talking to local agent.

I am paying 1100/- for 3 Months so per month it comes out to some 350/- Rs
For 350pm, you can't complain much. You will have to pay like 500 pm at least for something decent from local ISPs. Try to find local guys, if any in your area, instead of big companies.

OP
A

augustya

Journeyman
^^Hathway site is practically useless for plans info. In Delhi,hathway local agent offers 500GB-1000GB data pre-FUP every month by simply asking him & many times hathway itself gives such offers to customers.Only by contacting hathway local agent will one get the correct info regarding plans.

Correct ! though the Service Providing Company is Hathaway, It has given a certain area like Powai, Ghatkopar, Vikhroli, Kanjurmarg and Bhandup to a local guy who is free to have his own plan over the Hathaway Plan, so whenever you call Hathaway for a new connection in the above mentioned areas, they would say please call our local agent who is managing the business in those suburbs.

Last edited:
Top Bottom