Help build a PC - 120-150k budget

rafaroger

Right off the assembly line
Hello, kindly help me get a final list of components to build a PC.

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.' Vague answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work.)
Ans: Gaming (Strategy, FPS, 1080p is fine - I am also not a frame-rate freak), Mathematica, PixInsight.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then please mention.
Ans: 120-150k

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: No

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Windows 10

5. How much hard drive / solid-state drive space is needed?
Ans: 1 PCIe 4.0 NVMe (500 GB) NVMe, 1 PCIe 3.0 NVMe (1 TB)

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention the screen size and resolution you prefer. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, then do mention the screen size and resolution of the monitor you have.
Ans: No monitor needed. Already having MSI Optix 24 incher.

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy? i.e. which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: Monitor, Keyboard, Mouse

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: End of Jan 2021

9. Have you ever built a desktop before? Or, will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: Did my last one in 2008. So I am going to just ask the shop guy to build it for me.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Bangalore. Not going online. Will be going to SP Road.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: I really like the Asus ROG Strix B550-E motherboard. I need suggestions to take this as the base and build on top:

Mobo - ASUS ROG Strix B550-E Gaming AMD AM4 Zen 3
Processor - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
PSU - CORSAIR RM650x, 650 Watt
GPU - RTX 2060 Super

OP
R

rafaroger

Oh ok. I wanted to cap the GPU at 40k max. So should I be swapping 2060 Super for a 3060?
I see 3060 ti is 50k+and it may remain that way for few months.

TheSloth

The Slowest One
Oh ok. I wanted to cap the GPU at 40k max. So should I be swapping 2060 Super for a 3060?
I see 3060 ti is 50k+and it may remain that way for few months.
Just for info, if you don't know already, 3060Ti FE costs 36K. Visit RPTech website. You might have to wait long for 3060Ti FE. But do not buy 3060Ti above 45K. Same website RP tech is selling 3070 for 45K. These are the correct prices of FE and they are the official retail partners of Nvidia. 3060 also will be sold by them so keep checking and fill the form as soon as they go live with 3060 sales.

CPU - AMD R5 5600X - 28.5k (don't pay over 30k)

Mobo - MSI B550 Gaming Plus - 15k

RAM - 2x8GB DDR4 3600MHz - 6.5k

GPU - Asus/MSI/Zotac/Gigabyte RTX 3060Ti - 42k (max, Zotac & Gigabyte are possible)

M.2 SSD - Kingston A2000/WD SN550 1TB - 9.5k

HDD - WD/Seagate 1TB - 3.2k

PSU - Antec HCG750 750W 80+ Gold - 7.5k

Cabinet - Lian Li 215 or other mid tower ATX - 6.4k (can vary)

Monitor - Your G241

Total - 118.6k

Check primeabgb, mdcomputers, theitdepot, vedant computers, onlyssd (online stores) for PC parts at a good price. Some parts have such low prices on amazon during sales as well. There are smaller players like pcshop, clarion computers, elitehubs, etc as well.

That Asus mobo is a waste of money for Ryzen 5 based system as power draw isn't too high. Get MSI B550 Tomahawk if you fancy a good mobo for overclocking, costs 17k.

Corsair RM650x is good but Corsair PSUs are expensive these days. Antec HCG Gold is a top tier PSU as well & is cheaper.

Goes without saying, don't buy RTX 2060S. I was not recommending it even before RTX 30xx launched as it was a poor value, 7-8k over RTX 2060 for just 10% better performance. You have to be vigilant & haggle shops to get a 3060Ti at a good price in stock. FE cards are cheap but harder to get, still, ask RPTech & get added to their queue. I'd say good prices online is very rare, but I know local small sellers have been selling 3060Ti for 38-49k depending on the model, 49k for top models like MSI Gaming X Trio or Asus TUF/ROG. I have seen Gigabyte & Zotac for ~40k with small sellers & Gigabyte at times on Amazon.

You can get Zotac or MSI Ventus RTX 3070 for 52/55k at times from small sellers, but I feel 3060Ti is already overkill for 1080p gaming (unless you consider poorly optimized games like CP 2077 w/o DLSS).

Don't waste money on Gen4 SSD IMO. Even a good budget TLC Gen3 SSD is almost as fast as Gen4 SSDs for loading games. If don't want a HDD, swap it for a SATA 2.5" SSD (1TB for 9k, Crucial MX500) for now & buy a Gen4 SSD in the future when prices drop. There are benchmarks online.

OP
R

rafaroger

Thanks for all the inputs!

3060 Ti will require 750 W PSU? Since I read it will max at 200 W, another 400 W for others may be sufficient?

Thanks for all the inputs!

3060 Ti will require 750 W PSU? Since I read it will max at 200 W, another 400 W for others may be sufficient?
Definitely no, but decent 600-650W Gold PSUs cost like 7k, better to get 750W Gold for 7.5k to have room for future upgrades. That Antec HCG Gold has a 10 year warranty, so even if you change everything in your PC after 5 years, you can retain the PSU. For a 1 lakh build, I would not suggest a cheap PSU when you can easily afford a high quality one.

Corsair TX650M used to be close to 7k before lockdown, that was my go to recommendation for most as its a top tier PSU compared to Antec EAG Gold or CM MWE Gold. Antec HCG Gold is better than them as well & recently got price cuts, so attractive proposition.

OP
R

rafaroger

Thanks - I see your point. My inverter is 900 VA and I need to run the PC within it. I don't have a socket outside of the inverter circuit to plug the PC behind another UPS. This is the only reason I was thinking to go for 650W - since I am not sure if 750W can be made to fit in.

monkey

Padawan
I think Antec EA650G PRO should be fine.

Also RTX 3060 is just round the corner and I think it will be a better solution for around 30k-35k keeping 1080 gaming. R5 5600X prices are coming down too (already at 28k at Primeabgb.com) so a little patience can be helpful.

I am saying all this because I am too in the market for new build with similar requirements and budget but seeing the price fluctuation (or manipulation) I have decided to postpone the purchase to mid-Feb.

Last edited:
Thanks - I see your point. My inverter is 900 VA and I need to run the PC within it. I don't have a socket outside of the inverter circuit to plug the PC behind another UPS. This is the only reason I was thinking to go for 650W - since I am not sure if 750W can be made to fit in.
Even a 1000W PSU won't consume 1000W if no component is asking for that much power. So a 750W PSU will only supply as much power as is asked. Moreover, if your UPS can't supply the power when PC is on load, it will trip (I guess same is the case with inverter). Also read somewhere that PSUs are most efficient at 50-60% of load, so if actual PC load is just 450W, there will be less power loss.

IMO if you get something like Antec EA650G for 6.5k, go ahead with it. But at 7k or so, it's worth the extra 500 for future upgrade headroom. Someone I know bought Antec HCG Gold 750W for 7.6k & another guy got a quote of 7.4k for same PSU from Delhi.

TheSloth

The Slowest One
Just a suggestion, if you happen to find Gigabyte Gaming OC 3060Tti for 42K, get it asap. I have seen that price on Gigabyte sale a month back and that price seems good as per current market trend. This might help you in case you get good price for any other brand.
3060Ti AIB Comparision

But in case you are also postponing your purchase till the release of 3050Ti/3060, remember that demand will be very high for these cards and limited stocks will push your purchase even further.

Top Bottom