Giving folder permissions to users through Registry

Status
Not open for further replies.

casanova

The Frozen Nova
My PC is used by me and my brothers. There are some folders that I don't want my brothers to access. So, I deny them the permissions through the security tab. So far so good.

Now the problem is if I reinstall windows and recreate the accounts for my brothers, I have to give this permissions all over again. Further more, the folder permissions show two other users having no access to it (Quite understandable as these users were the accounts from the previous windows installation).

So can it be possible to set these permissions through registry so that when I reinstall windows in future, all I have to do is run the registry file.

alicemcline

Broken In
you can do like this..

1. Convert you partition into NTFS file system.. [since you have NTFS already skip this step..]

2. Create user with password you would like to permit access to..

3. Select folders, and check properties -> Advanced -> (check) Encrypt contents to secure data..

4. After all files get encrypted..
  • Start -> Run -> mmc.exe
  • in mmc.exe, File -> Add/Remove Snap-ins -> Add (stand-alone) -> Certificates -> My User Account..
  • select Console-Root -> Certificates - Current User -> Personal -> Select Certificate (right side)..
  • Right Click Certificate on right side -> All Tasks -> Export -> Yes Export Private Key -> (check)Include all certificates in certification path if possible + (check) enable strong protection -> put password for certificate -> put filename to export to..

5. To import certificate after windows has been reinstalled..
  • Start -> Run -> mmc.exe
  • in mmc.exe, File -> Add/Remove Snap-ins -> Add (stand-alone) -> Certificates -> My User Account..
  • select Console-Root -> Certificates - Current User -> Personal -> Select Certificate (right side)..
  • Right Click right side -> All Tasks -> Import -> Select certificate file -> enter password, (check) enable strong key.. + (check) mark this key exportable.. -> Place in personal -> finish..

Remarks..
1. same username and password has to be put for user even after windows has been reinstalled..

2. if password of user is changed, encrypted files are inaccessible even after applying certificate..

OP
casanova

casanova

The Frozen Nova
Thanks alicemcline for this. However, I won't be much comfortable using Encryption because even if I miss out on something, there is a high chance of losing my data.

The other reason of not preferring encryption is I won't be able to access that data if I connect my HDD to my friend's PC.

Thanks again for giving this tip on encryption though. It might be useful for me in future :D

alicemcline

Broken In
welcome my friend..

you would be able to access that stuff on friends pc if you create same user with same password and import certificate into it..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom