Gamers! Will Oculus Rift change the world ?

cute.bandar

Cyborg Agent
I have been watching all the oculus rift videos lately and thought, this doesn't look that amazing. What is this guy talking about looking under the desk and saying hes there. He knows it isn't real, why does he expect his hands to be there? Hes full of crap blah blah.
I got everything set up, put this thing on and holy ****ing **** I got it. I was at a virtual desk, cards stacked on the table, I could perceive actual depth. My brain thought i was there, raised my hands up and didn't see them so it freaked me out. Started up elite dangerous and it looked alright, I wasn't super impressed because the head tracking didn't work. Found out I needed to stop the oculus service and start the game. Did that and oh my god. I was in a space ship. I could see the windscreen and moved the ship a little so the light from the star went over the dashboard - wow wow wow. Last night I was in a viper flying around a space station, I knew it wasn't real but didn't care. My brain thought it was and it looked amazing! I thought what happens when I get out of my chair? So I get up and the thing keeps tracking! I look at the pilots chair and there is a body there with no head, I can get so close to it and see the texture of the suit. I turn around and holy freaking crap there is a docking hatch behind the seat! I wanted to go and open it but I couldn't. We need tactile feedback - someone needs to figure this out.
So after all this I run upstairs and yell to my roomate dude you have to try this. He comes down, puts it on and checks out the same stuff I did, says oh wow oh wow oh wow a bunch of times. Now he wants one too and didnt want to come back to reality. This is the closest thing to a holodeck we have and its freaking amazing.
Ever since I was 4 or 5 I tried to put myself in these games, be there, be the hero fighting the villain or whatever. Dude holy crap now I can! This thing is amazing and its going to change the world.

Source

Has anyone here been fortunate enough to try this tech ? Its not super expensive (350$) considering that its still in development.
What do you think ? I am curious what all of you think.

btw for those completely out of the loop here are some reaction videos : *www.youtube.com/watch?v=INDKNA7kXoo

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
I don't know if OR is a "breakthrough", slapping two screens in stereo up close to your eyes so that you immerse in the environment is a very old idea.
I would call this is a breakthrough when you can immerse in a virtual environment like Johny does in Johny Quest or Neo does in The Matrix. :p

Btw, I am pretty sure Mark Zuckerberg must have watched this video before he decided to buy OR. xD

Top Bottom