DVD drive caused pC to run slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shikhar

Journeyman
I have a P3 800Mhz PC with Win XP Home and Win98SE OSs. LG DVD ROM drive and Samsung CDRW configured as secondary master & secondary slave respectively.
When I started my PC after 12 days , my LG DVD ROM drive refused to open. Even in the my computer of win xp and win98se E: was not shown. I took a needle and put it into the small hole to open the drive. It then started to open and close normally but E: was still not shown in the my computer.
I restarted my PC and then E: was also recognised. But when I inserted a disc into my drive it worked well for 5 minutes then my PC hung. After restarting I put another disc into it , it worked well this time but my PC became sluggish. The CPU usage is less than 50% and free ram available is 132MB of the 320MB available. Even 290MB of virtual memory is free.

swatkat

Technomancer
Do they work correctly in SAFE mode?
Check the connectors, both Data and Power, of the drives.
Also, in the BIOS, load the default settings.

OP
S

Shikhar

Journeyman
I restored the factory settings of BIOS and started Windows XP in safe mode and found both the drives shown. Later when I started Windows XP in normal mode both the drives were shown.
Later at 9PM when I turned on my PC only LG DVD ROM drive was shown. Now when I have started my PC only Samsung CDRW drive is being shown. So one of the two drives is shown at a given time. Haven't checked the power and data cable as yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom