ryzen 5 3600
gigabyte b550 gaming x
gigabyte rtx 2070 super
gigabyte 256gb nvme ssd
gigabyte 650w psu
coolermaster ML240
wd 1tb 7200

Issue:
After few minutes after switching on, the display is cut off.
GPU, Cooler, Case fans are spinning fine, power btn led is on, all led's are on, no parts heating, no beeping.
After display goes dark, OS is not running, checked by trying to ssh & telnet after display goes off and it does not works.
Tried re-assembly, jumped reset cmos, re-isntalled OS, removed ssd and only used hdd.
Happening across any os - windows/ubuntu.

What could be the issue - faulty mobo/gpu/psu?

TheSloth

The Slowest One
Assuming you are using Win10. In Settings->Power, what is the time set for Display Off and Sleep?

OP

0case

Right off the assembly line
Did you recently replace your CPU? If so check once the Pins on the processor.

Sent from my SM-M317F using Tapatalk

No, did not replace cpu. assembled in nov 2020.

Machine runs fine for few minutes and then display goes dark all of sudden and never comes back.

OP

0case

Check with both DVI and HDMI cable once

Sent from my SM-M317F using Tapatalk

Checked with replacement cables & monitors. Cables and monitors are not faulty. Checked with spare nvme ssd and hdd so ssd and hdd are also not faulty.

nac

Aspiring Novelist
See if you can borrow a dGPU from someone for testing. Any GPU would be fine, even GT210/710. If it works fine, then check your PSU next. We can come to main board later.

quicky008

Technomancer
That PSU you are using doesn't appear very reliable(gigabyte psus are known to explode under load conditions)-do check whether its the culprit or not.

OP

0case

I think I've found the root cause. It was faulty PSU. Arranged a corsair 750w 80 gold psu and machine ran perfectly fine, temps were great. Gave the gigabyte p650b for rma. I think I'll sell my PSU and get a better one. Should not have cheaped out on PSU.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think I've found the root cause. It was faulty PSU. Arranged a corsair 750w 80 gold psu and machine ran perfectly fine, temps were great. Gave the gigabyte p650b for rma. I think I'll sell my PSU and get a better one. Should not have cheaped out on PSU.
A common mistake made by many, I always suggest people to check a good psu tier list like that on linustechtips forum & don't go below tier-B for any system with graphics card equivalent to 1650 or above.
*linustechtips.com/topic/1116640-psucultists-psu-tier-list/

Top Bottom