Discounted Ryzen 7 2700x vs 3700x and 3600

riturajsharma19

Broken In
I am looking to upgrade my core platform (to Ryzen). I am currently on an i7 4770, Msi B45M-E45 motherboard and 24gb DDR3 RAM. I have already shortlisted the MSI B450m Mortar Max motherboard and 32gb of DDR4 3200mhz memory.Right now, I am confused between these processors-
Ryzen 7 2700x, which is now available at discounted prices
Ryzen 7 3700x

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans:
Adobe Photoshop CC 2019
Adobe Lightroom CC
Corel Draw X8
DaVinci Resolve 16

I only game occasionally. Gaming performance is not a priority.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: Approximately 50-55k

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: No

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Windows 10

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: Already have 2 HDDs and an SSD

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: No. Already have a dual monitor setup

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: HDD, SSD, Graphics Card (Galax GTX 1060 6gb), PSU (Corsair CX650m 80+ Bronze), Cabinet, Keyboard, Mouse, Monitor, UPS, Speakers, Cooler (120m AIO)

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: Right away

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: Yes, Will build it myself.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Jorhat, Assam. Will mostly purchase from MDComputers or VedantComputers

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: I would be happy to buy the 2700x at the current discounted prices. However, being a 105W TDP processor, I suspect I would have to invest in a high end AIO cooler later, in which case it could be wiser to go for the 3700x, given its 65w TDP. Ambient temperatures in my location may rise up to 35-37 degrees C with upwards of 85% humidity.

Would love to hear experiences from current 2700x owners on the cooling solutions that they have employed.

I also understand that the R5 3600 too would be adequate for my purpose, but I would like to upgrade to the 8 core 16 thread config.

P.S: I own a 120mm Cooler Master AIO, which I would like to reuse with the new processor.

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
3700x will run hotter than 2700x because it is based on 7nm(basic physics laws,smaller the area more will be the heat generated for a chip). Also there is little headroom for manual overclocking on ryzen 3xxx series anyway because of the way boost clock works. Another thing to note is that MSI rma service is poor in India currently so only buy MSI if you consider yourself not unlucky enough to need any rma in warranty period.

nac

Aspiring Novelist
2700x+x470+32gigs would cost about 50k
3700x+x570+32gigs would cost about 60k

For 20% more money, you get an average of 20-25% more performance. So price wise, you get what you pay for and your budget can't accommodate 3700x. I like the price drop of 2ooo series CPUs.

OP
riturajsharma19

riturajsharma19

Broken In
Thanks for your suggestions guys.
My PC Case is a Micro ATX one (Fractal Define C Mini), so I am limited to MATX motherboards. From numerous online sources I could gather that the best available AM4 MATX board in India is the Msi B450m Mortar Max, which is why I had listed it as my choice (RMA issues notwithstanding). With this motherboard and GSkill Ripjaws F4 32g 3200mhz C16 RAM, the price for both processor combinations comes to within 55k.
My biggest concern is heat as I haven't yet installed an AC in the room where my PC is kept. My assumption was that the 3700x would generate lesser heat due to its 65w TDP compared to the 2700x (105w TDP), which unfortunately turned out to be wrong. Also since I am not much of a gamer, the slight performance difference between the 2 processors will be almost unnoticeable.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Thanks for your suggestions guys.
My PC Case is a Micro ATX one (Fractal Define C Mini), so I am limited to MATX motherboards. From numerous online sources I could gather that the best available AM4 MATX board in India is the Msi B450m Mortar Max, which is why I had listed it as my choice (RMA issues notwithstanding). With this motherboard and GSkill Ripjaws F4 32g 3200mhz C16 RAM, the price for both processor combinations comes to within 55k.
My biggest concern is heat as I haven't yet installed an AC in the room where my PC is kept. My assumption was that the 3700x would generate lesser heat due to its 65w TDP compared to the 2700x (105w TDP), which unfortunately turned out to be wrong. Also since I am not much of a gamer, the slight performance difference between the 2 processors will be almost unnoticeable.
Using this Mobo which is an upgraded one with bigger heatsinks for the VRMs it runs much cooler than the rest of the mATX boards out there :MSI B450M MORTAR MAX MOTHERBOARD
Check the temps using Ryzen Master while doing stress testing when using Air Cooler:
*i.imgur.com/EiI2ADL.png

Since you are using an CM AIO Cooler the temps will be below 85 degrees even.
Use Noctua NT-H1 Thermal Paste.

Last edited:

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Check this reddit chat once.MSI B450M Mortar MAX : Amd
The main difference between normal and max versions is the 32MB Bios for the Ryzen 3000 Series CPUs versus 16MB Bios chip for the Ryzen 2000 Series CPUs.

Top Bottom