Disable charging Android phone when it is connected to computer?

srdigit16

In the zone
We have to connect our phone to computer for many purposes other than charging like file transfer, development purposes with USB debugging etc. In these cases, if the phone's battery already have enough charge, the battery is unnecessarily charged & it can reduce battery life (how much times a battery can be recharged) (right?). So is there an option to disable charging in these cases either in the phone or computer?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I am not sure that's even possible. The USB connector draws power whenever it's connected to any USB port, even for non-charging purposes. I don't think there is any way to prevent this drawn power from charging the phone.

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
two solutions:-

1)Use ADB wirelessly,
Here's a guide ADB over wireless

2)Use android emulator of inbuilt android studio. other third party ones are not optimised.

I would prefer to go with the first one as I had used it with my TV to backload some apps.

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
Modern batteries have much longer life than the phone itself. Think about it, when did you last hear someone had to change their phone's battery because it ran out?

Besides, there's no such thing as overcharging. There's an internal circuit in all phones/laptops which cut off power to the battery once it is fully charged. You can easily test this by touching the phone when it's charging. During charging it will be warm, but 10-15 minutes after it's fully charged, it will be cooler, indicating it is no longer drawing power from the charger.

Lithium Ion batteries don't really suffer from the charge cycle problem, at least, not in the time span for which you'll use your phone. So don't worry about it.

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
Modern batteries have much longer life than the phone itself. Think about it, when did you last hear someone had to change their phone's battery because it ran out?

Typical phone lasts 2.5-3.5 years, after that user buy new one, and by then phone battery's life is around 70-80%.

Besides, there's no such thing as overcharging. There's an internal circuit in all phones/laptops which cut off power to the battery once it is fully charged. You can easily test this by touching the phone when it's charging. During charging it will be warm, but 10-15 minutes after it's fully charged, it will be cooler, indicating it is no longer drawing power from the charge

Yes, there is no overcharging. And Li-Ion and Li-Po batteries dont run out because of that. Lets assume a case, a phone has charged to 100%. It will stop charging the battery now and run on battery power. As soon as battery drops to 99%, it will start charging it again. this cycle will continue. As there will be no complete Discharge-Recharge cycle, the battery will start loosing its life.

Best way is to charge till 80%, and once its 30%, set it to recharge. And Do a complete Recharge-Discharge cycle atleast once a month. I.E. discharge to 0 and charge to 100.

But if someone wants to use phone for more than 3yrs, he will have to get the battery changed. But heres a contradiction, as battery capacity is increasing, i.e nowadays every phone has a minimum of 4000MaH battery, that even after loosing about 30% of charge, will not majorly affect it. but then there a multiple environmental factors in it.

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
As soon as battery drops to 99%, it will start charging it again. this cycle will continue.

No. Why do you underestimate phone manufacturers so much? The phone doesn't start charging unless the charger is disconnected and reconnected again.

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
No that's not the case.

*sciencing.com/smartphone-charger-stop-after-its-full-17317.html

Here's How to Charge Your Phone to Save The Battery, According to Science

Tl;dr, The phone keeps on getting trickle charge.

if you visit any phone showroom, like apple store, they keep there phone plugged in, that cable not only prevents theft but also keeps it charging.

This is done for a reason, at some places when some heavy task is done on phone, which use more resources like battery, the phone can be kept plugged in and used.

TigerKing

Wise Old Owl
"Don't keep it plugged in when it's fully charged"
I think many manufacturers claims that you can leave your phone plugged in even after 100%, after 100% it stops charging device. Kernel or may be software for this. I have seen poco and redmi devices does the same.

"Trickle Charging Effect"
I don't know about this but I have seen Redmi Note 5 Pro, stopped charging after 100% and discharged to 98% in idle mode, while plugged in.

"In fact, try not to charge it to 100 percent"
Same about this, manufacturers presets this value to 3-5% (for lower value limit) to 90-95% (for 100% value limit) of mAh capacity of battery.

"Plug in your phone whenever you can"
When I purchased Nexus 5, I have seen this in phone's guide.
May be in some high end devices it is mentioned. I don't exactly.

Apart from this, bad voltage (sudden spike) can damage adapter and then eventually your device battery.
Also slow charging is not recommended less than 500mA if data syncing not being done.

vidhubhushan

Alakh Niranjan
you need a custom wire like the one which is used only for charging but has no wire for data like USB condom. unfortunately i have not heard about only data wire so if you really need it desperately, you need to get someone to open it and change the wires to data only pins on both ends.

TheSloth

The Slowest One
you need a custom wire like the one which is used only for charging but has no wire for data like USB condom. unfortunately i have not heard about only data wire so if you really need it desperately, you need to get someone to open it and change the wires to data only pins on both ends.
TIL. At first I thought you were joking.

TigerKing

Wise Old Owl
you can resolder it to make data+/-
but will this work>?

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.

That will not work. When usb was designed, the power lines were designed so as to signal the device that something has been connected to it. After power signal is received, only then the device will activate serial bus, they are not active every time. So it is not possible to do that.

But they can be removed once the serial connection has been established. So he will need to add a switch to it. But after usb 2.0, this thing has changed. Now device use the power signal as a way to check whether a device is connected or has been removed. (The reason why on removing usb it disappears from file explorer, with usb 1.0 this would not happen)

Power on usb was established later, so it is not possible now.

Also, a phone is able to differentiate between a charger and a pc through a simple method. In chargers, the data + and data - are shorted. So when phone sends a data pulse, it returns back. This does not happen with pc. Pc instead sends it info about usb interface etc. So the phone is able to differentiate.

Instead why not use ADB on the air?

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
That will not work. When usb was designed, the power lines were designed so as to signal the device that something has been connected to it. After power signal is received, only then the device will activate serial bus, they are not active every time. So it is not possible to do that.

Ohh and this happens with self powered devices like printers, android phones only. Mice and keyboard keeps it serial activated, as the usb is also supplying it power.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
I am not sure that's even possible. The USB connector draws power whenever it's connected to any USB port, even for non-charging purposes. I don't think there is any way to prevent this drawn power from charging the phone.
I have seen this particular way working in one instance.. Its the fiio CL06 cable.
Using this special cable, you can use a battery powered dac on a phone device. (MicroUSB to TypeC). This allows the DAC to run on battery power without sipping power from the phone. Any other usb type c to micro usb cable will drain your phone power.
Its ridiculously expensive, and I couldnt bear myself to pay for this shit..
*www.fiio.co.in/products/cl06-type-c-to-micro-usb-data-cable?variant=12395452432489

I dont think this is how standard usb device work, fiio must have designed around it.

Top Bottom