Direct Cable Connection Between 2 Laptops

Status
Not open for further replies.

mohsin_parwez

Broken In
Hi! I need help. You see I have 2 laptops, one is an old Nec Versa running Win98 and the other is a Toshiba Satellite A20 running Windows XP Pro. The Nec belongs to a friend, he as about 1.63 GB worth of MP3s on it and I have to transfer them onto the satellite and burn them onto a CD. I need some way to connect both computers together. IR is no good cause it will take forever. I have limited connectivity options on the NEC, as it does not have a USB port or a Lan. It does have a 56 kbps modem and an ECP1 Prallel port. I need someway to create a fast connection between the two computers within the next 2 days and I need your help. I treid direct cable connection, but it does not work. XP has SP2.

suhas_sm

Journeyman
lamrinnirmal said:
there is a direct usb -usb cable available for that purpose. its real fast transfer.i ve used it too.
:? correct me if i am wrong ....confused here
he said
I have limited connectivity options on the NEC, as it does not have a USB port or a Lan.

OP
M

mohsin_parwez

Broken In
Is there no one out there who knows how to do this? Tell me something, is there a parallel to usb converter out there? Basically I want to spend as little as possible and still get my work done.

lamrinnirmal

Journeyman
suhas_sm wrote:
lamrinnirmal wrote:
there is a direct usb -usb cable available for that purpose. its real fast transfer.i ve used it too.

correct me if i am wrong ....confused here
he said
Quote:

I have limited connectivity options on the NEC, as it does not have a USB port or a Lan.
:eek:
when i was a kid i used to lose marks in my exams cause i never used to read the question fully before answering it :)
sorry buddies!

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
i posted this earlier but it is lost so here it is again remove hdd containg data put it in other laptop boot up with knoppix and write data then revert the disk back to orignal laptop. should work what say you?

freshseasons

King of my own Castle
Ok lets take is this way ...You dont have USb so its out ...and you dont have LAN so its out off way too...the only option for you here was Direct CABLE TO CABLE CONNECTION using SERIAL , PARALLEL ports. But its not working since you have Service PAck 2 ...
Ok do this ...
1) If you have time and patience ...do this ..i say its long coz it involves Connecting 2 pcs ( or notebook in your case ) using modems
Here : *www.jagshouse.com/modem.html
OR
2) Go to services in Winxp... Type services.msc at run and then enable all the services for sometime . Then try Direct cable connection on Serial or Parallel cable.
3) Open up his harddisk from the Laptop and connect it to the Drive Bay ( Laptop to PC ide connector BAY ) If he is ready to open his laptop and then copy the contents as in any PC ...

theraven

Technomancer
hmmm
well u can get a pcmcia card which gives u a lan connection ... or even a usb port
or u can connect thru ur serial port
*www.wown.com/j_helmig/wxpdccsr.htm
i dunno how much this link helps
but this is possible
there was an article in digit for this also
im lookin for more info
lemme know if it helps

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
well u could try getting hold of an external cd burner that will connect 2 the serial or parallel port...btw, does the NEC hav a firewire port? or if nothing works, just turn on the IR, go watch a movie with ur friend and when u get back, hopefully the transfer will b done....

OP
M

mohsin_parwez

Broken In
Hey guys thanks for all the help. I've already tried the IR, it takes like 15 minutes per song, and you gotta do it 1 song at a time! But Thanks for that modem link, I tried that, by tyring on dial up server in the win98 machine, but forgot the line simulator, I'm gonna make that tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

I was thinking about opening that laptop and using the IDE converter, but I don't think I'll get one of those in Nagpur though.

and I think that I'll try turining on all the servies and retry the direct cable connection.

In the meantime, if anybody has anymore ideas, It'll be a big help. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom